Hunter 326 Running Rigging

Nov 27, 2023
Hunter 326 Tampa, FL
2002 Hunter 326

Need some thoughs from the hive mind. Here are the running rigging specs from the Hunter manual. But I'm confused because Hunter does not have many of these things.

And then with the things it does have the running rigging specs are different on Mauripro.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard the group!
That table in the manual would list lines for factory options so ya might not have all the items if the original owner didn't order the boat that way.. .. I wouldn't trust measurements that someone else put together.. It is pretty easy to come up with measurements yourself , especially if the halyards/sheets that are on board now suit you.. Halyards, for instance, you'd double the mast height then measure back to the winch then add whatever you want for tail, usually 4 wraps on the winch and 5-6 feet; or measure the existing halyard tip from the mast base to the end and add double mast height .. again if you are happy with the existing length.. The control sheets are easily removed and measured, again if you are happy with the existing length.. A length of rope generally can't be too long, but it can be too short..

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A length of rope generally can't be too long, but it can be too short..
:biggrin:
THAT IS SO TRUE.
Welcome to the SBO Forums.
Claude stated the facts that many new owners learn about boats. Printed specifications about running rigging are suggestions not absolutes. Too short means you get to make two trips to the marine store... (candy shop for boat owners).

When faced with no spec sheet, I look at the boat and just measure the lines plus a little extra. I adjust the lengths and any extra tails are put to use as dock lines or fender lines (fender lines are often neglected scraps, best updated every couple years.)

As far as line diameters (how big) this is governed by the blocks, clutches or sheaves that the lines pass through. Lines need to be big enough to have a good feel (something you want to grip), yet small enough to easily pass through the hardware that assists or guides the lines.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If I remember for my H356 the specs for running rigging were mostly Yacht Braid or some other double braided cordage. For many of the lines that was too stretchy. Specifically I'm talking about the furling line for in mast furling, or the outhaul for conventional sails, and halyards (Which need to be Ultra Low Stretch).
So, my point is that running rigging specs are skewed more towards economics than towards ideal. So if you are going to replace running rigging do the research and pick the best balance between performance and price for you.
Don't underestimate the positive effect good cordage can make in the fun of sailing. With stretchy mainsail control lines when a gust hits the sail will balloon a bit, and the boat will heel over while the sail creates drag and the rudder drags acting as a brake. The helms person would feel the boat is a slug. With less stretch, when the gust hits, the sails stay trimmed, the boat heels, and then accelerates and comes back up with more speed. The helms person smiles. Hugh difference.
And then there's the handling aspect. Sheets are nice if they don't knuckle as easily, especially if they are on and off winches. Spinnaker sheets should float. Some low stretch lines are too stiff to go around blocks without undue friction.
Don't just