Hot water tank

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Hi, have a 2000 H290 and started up the water system after launch and noticed rusty colored water leaking out from bottom of hot water tank.. besides the obviouse issue any other suggestions on what it might be or any experience removing the tank or dealing with this would be much appreciated. Tank is under settee, table side .
Thanks
Colin

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Hi @colin59 ,

I have not seen the same signs of a perforated tank but live in fear of the day it does happen to our '99 H-310. It's a real dog's breakfast in there with the water pump and assorted lines.

Any chance of the problem "only" being a leaking fitting on the tank which is leaking back into the tank insulation and exiting through a bottom seam on the casing ? I'd look for anything before taking the heater out.

When and if you do end up taking the tank out, could you please photo the removal process and post and maybe help out a few others in this inevitable nightmare. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2006
Lots of investigation first....
The job looks so bad, you may also want to consider prayer in the hope it will help. Dropping a few pennies in the poor box wouldn't hurt either. I might even go as far as lighting a candle or two on Friday night.

1715282067813.png

I just hope to hell (or any other) that the setee wasn't dropped into place AFTER the tank was installed.
Best of luck.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hope you find a good fix but if you do need to cut it out... I recommend a cordless sawzall with a hacksaw (metal) blade. I have the Porter Cable but there are several good brands. You could cut the tank into small pieces and pull it out in an hour or so of cutting. And it would be an excuse to get a new tool (if you don't already have one).:dancing:

NealI

May 13, 2024
Hunter 310 Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Hello Colin, I own a 2000 Hunter 310 and had the exact Water Heater issue you are having on your H290. My Water Heater tank was leaking when I bought my boat about 5 years ago and I was told by the previous owner that he was told that the thru-hole valve for the galley sink would need to be removed to get the Water Heater out. My tank is also located under the settee on the table side. The Water Heater that was installed was a Seaward 6 gal. which is built with a aluminum tank contained in a square metal housing. I was able to remove the metal cover, which made the whole unit a little smaller. I was then able remove the rest of unit without removing the thru-hole valve or cutting any of the cabinets under the settee. I did need to move the water pump and some water lines.
The new Water Heater I choose was a IsoTemp SPA20 115vac 5.3 gal. It's has a round tank shape and the capacity is a little less but it fit! It also has a stainless steel tank which should last longer and it works great. When I'm connected to shore power, it heats up quickly. When away from shore, the engine coolant heats the water and the water stays hot a long time after the engine is shut down. I also replaced the coolant lines that go to the engine. My boat is 20+ years old so when ever I remove a line I try to replace it and the hose clamps.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Helpful
Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Thanks Neall, Great pics. The tank looks great. Our thru hull is the opposite side from the tank so should not be an issue and looks like yours was a clean job , so think our s will as well. Considering bypassing the hot water for now till we get it organized.
cheers
Colin

Jan 4, 2006
Our thru hull is the opposite side from the tank so should not be an issue
Mentally planning our removal (should it ever be needed) the final problem looks as if the thru-hull valve would have to be removed for the same heater to come out and return. Not the end of the world but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'll photo our layout the next time I'm at the boat.

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
any tips on bypassing the hot water, we also have the system where engine coolant will heat the water in the tank, 5/8 water hose is the same as water intake from thru hull.
thanks
Colin