Hardware needed to attach CDI roller furling on a 1989 Catalina 22.

Oct 22, 2022
Catalina 22 Salt Lake City
I recently acquired a 1989 Catalina 22 with a CDI Roller Furling system. Can anyone tell me what hardware is needed to attach the roller furling drum to the stem fitting? The previous owner can't help.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks. Is the hardware that is attached to the stem fitting attached to the end of a turnbuckle inside the drum?
Yes. Do you have a manual for your CDI?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022
Catalina 22 Salt Lake City
justsomeguy, The manufacturer and model # had worn off of the furler drum. With a lot of research, I recently learned it is a CDI, and was able to find a manual. It's a new boat for me but it's 34 years old. It was given to my daughter and it had little hardware. The boat came to us last August and we need to fix a few things before launching it. The problem we had when we tried to raise the mast for the first time (last fall) was that there was a gap of about 3" between the stem fitting and the end of the turnbuckle. However, we found that it was slightly tangled where it attaches to the mast, and that's probably what caused it. We didn't want to try raising the mast again without having the proper hardware to attach the forestay to the stem fitting. I'm hopeful that all goes well this time. The boat has been stored all winter (We live in UT) and the weather is just now starting to warm up. Additionally, we don't have any sailboat supply stores so if we need parts, we need to order online. I wanted to have everything we needed before trying to raise the mast again.