Grand Soleil 50

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
Hello All,
I am trying to find information about older Grand Soleil 50. Are there any issues that are common that one should look for if looking to purchase one? They sound like pretty solid boats. Have not found much information regarding how they are built.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The teak deck is going to be higher maintenance than fiberglass. Expect around 50k for full replacement if it's in really bad shape

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
The teak deck is going to be higher maintenance than fiberglass. Expect around 50k for full replacement if it's in really bad shape
Thank you for your response. I was wandering what the cost of replacing that might be and have often wandered what the advantage is to use teak to cover the entire deck other than a preference as to design/looks.
Thanks again!

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
Not clear what you are looking for. Here is a review from 2006.
Thank you, I did run across that review. I was looking more for how they are constructed, for example I have read that some boats are built with steel reinforcement imbedded in the hull which is something that in an older boat would be something that I would try to avoid.
I often look through ads of boats that are for sale and it seems that every boat has things that are good and things that become problematic especially as they age. I haven't found much information about Grand Soleil 50.
I may look at one and am just trying to educate myself as to what to keep an eye out for. Thanks for your response!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thank you for your response. I was wandering what the cost of replacing that might be and have often wandered what the advantage is to use teak to cover the entire deck other than a preference as to design/looks.
Thanks again!
I'm no expert. I'm just repeating numbers I've seen others post. It may very well be higher or lower for a full replacement. Uncovering a 50' boat just for a day sail sounds like a lot of work

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I reviewed your "about Me" post... "Fairly new to sailing, in process of learning."

The Catalina 22 is an excellent starting place. With your sights on a 50ft boat the costs, work load, management and handling are exponentially greater.

Teak is an excellent surface. It provides nostalgia, less work to maintain (just needs sea water and a scrubbing) and when maintained gives bear feet a moderate tempered deck to walk on. The problem that boaters discover is all about how the deck was installed. Most have several thousand screws holding the teak to the deck. That means several thousand screw holes through the fiberglass underdeck. Water leaks develop. Boat owners know the cost will be large and the time lost from sailing the boat (often several months or more) a pain. They look for an escape... Sell the boat to an unsuspecting dreamer.

If I may ask, Why a 50ft boat?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The only GS 50 with which I am familiar has a 7.5 ft keel draft. It itself, that severely limits where it can go. Screwed down teak decks are great only if you are a masochist.

• Ha
Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
I reviewed your "about Me" post... "Fairly new to sailing, in process of learning."

The Catalina 22 is an excellent starting place. With your sights on a 50ft boat the costs, work load, management and handling are exponentially greater.

Teak is an excellent surface. It provides nostalgia, less work to maintain (just needs sea water and a scrubbing) and when maintained gives bear feet a moderate tempered deck to walk on. The problem that boaters discover is all about how the deck was installed. Most have several thousand screws holding the teak to the deck. That means several thousand screw holes through the fiberglass underdeck. Water leaks develop. Boat owners know the cost will be large and the time lost from sailing the boat (often several months or more) a pain. They look for an escape... Sell the boat to an unsuspecting dreamer.

If I may ask, Why a 50ft boat?
Hello Don, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree with the C22 being a great boat to start on. I put it in the water last fall and was able to do quite a bit of sailing. She sails good and looks like new. Once the weather breaks here I will bring her home to replace standing and running rigging and finish installing an electrical system.
I have read about some stories and watched videos regarding repairs that had to be made due to the holes from mounting teak decks and not something that I am anxious to do, so definitely not a good selling point.
I am not set on a 50 footer, when I saw this particular boat it caught my eye (as many others have) not because of it's size but because it just has a great look and I had never heard of the Grand Soleil brand. Generally when a boat catches my eye I am usually able to find all kinds of information that I find interesting both good and bad. Not so much for the Grand Soleil.
I am hoping to move up to somewhere between a 28 and 34 ft boat by the end of this year or spring of next year, unless something changes, so I often spend time just looking and when and if the right boat comes along I will hopefully know when and if I am ready for it. Ultimately I would like to be able to do some sailing off shore.
Safe sailing!

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
The only GS 50 with which I am familiar has a 7.5 ft keel draft. It itself, that severely limits where it can go. Screwed down teak decks are great only if you are a masochist.
Hahahaha! I have spent many many hours restoring my present boat and have learned quite a bit in the process. The one thing that I know is that I will spend more time sailing my next boat as apposed to working on it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1. I am hoping to move up to somewhere between a 28 and 34 ft boat by the end of this year or spring of next year, unless something changes, so I often spend time just looking and when and if the right boat comes along I will hopefully know when and if I am ready for it.

2. Ultimately I would like to be able to do some sailing off shore.
3. Safe sailing!
Looking at big boats, I once imagined owning a 50ft Maple Leaf that was for sale near my home. Nothing wrong with looking. Just be sure about the boat and it's needs before you let your imagination open your pocketbook.

1. I sailed a 15ft Montgomery for 18 years. We explored rivers, lakes, bays, the ocean a couple of times and the Puget Sound in the PacificNW. It was like camping in a one person back packing tent. Lots of fun. My dreams and more available time led me to sell the Montgomery and purchase my current 35ft Cal Cruiser. For the solo sailing, I enjoy, and the ability to carry family and friends a 35ft boat fits. The gear is not too difficult to safely manage. The cost of moorage and repairs are affordable. I would encourage you to spend a lot of time with your present boat. Small boats hone your sailing skills. Moving to a complex big boat can be less safe. You can quickly find your self spending more time fixing things than sailing.

2. It is not the boat but the sailor that lets you safely sail off shore. Explore the experiences of others, like the Pardey's (Lin & Larry Pardey Sailing Stories & Cruising Tips) they crossed oceans in a 24ft boat Seraffyn.
Voyaged - 47,000 miles - eleven years, eastward through Mexico, Panama Canal, to Europe and Baltic. Three years in Mediterranean, south through Red Sea, across Indian Ocean and through China seas to Japan, then Canada and south back to launching port of Newport Beach, California.

3. Safe Sailing is, in my opinion, knowing the weather, knowing your boat, knowing your skills and then making good decisions. Your ability to make critical decisions comes from studying the knowledge of others and comparing it with your own experiences. Give yourself as many experiences as are possible, then grow boat size and sailing adventures.

Here is an interesting site. Boats for sale - Global Solo Challenge

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
Looking at big boats, I once imagined owning a 50ft Maple Leaf that was for sale near my home. Nothing wrong with looking. Just be sure about the boat and it's needs before you let your imagination open your pocketbook.

1. I sailed a 15ft Montgomery for 18 years. We explored rivers, lakes, bays, the ocean a couple of times and the Puget Sound in the PacificNW. It was like camping in a one person back packing tent. Lots of fun. My dreams and more available time led me to sell the Montgomery and purchase my current 35ft Cal Cruiser. For the solo sailing, I enjoy, and the ability to carry family and friends a 35ft boat fits. The gear is not too difficult to safely manage. The cost of moorage and repairs are affordable. I would encourage you to spend a lot of time with your present boat. Small boats hone your sailing skills. Moving to a complex big boat can be less safe. You can quickly find your self spending more time fixing things than sailing.

2. It is not the boat but the sailor that lets you safely sail off shore. Explore the experiences of others, like the Pardey's (Lin & Larry Pardey Sailing Stories & Cruising Tips) they crossed oceans in a 24ft boat Seraffyn.
Voyaged - 47,000 miles - eleven years, eastward through Mexico, Panama Canal, to Europe and Baltic. Three years in Mediterranean, south through Red Sea, across Indian Ocean and through China seas to Japan, then Canada and south back to launching port of Newport Beach, California.

3. Safe Sailing is, in my opinion, knowing the weather, knowing your boat, knowing your skills and then making good decisions. Your ability to make critical decisions comes from studying the knowledge of others and comparing it with your own experiences. Give yourself as many experiences as are possible, then grow boat size and sailing adventures.

Here is an interesting site. Boats for sale - Global Solo Challenge
Thanks John, All good advice. I will check out those sites but not sure if I will be able to accomplish everything that I would like to as I am 71 but time will tell. Thanks for your input!