ghost striping / lettering residue

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
i removed old decals / name etc with combo of eraser wheel and heat gun. seems there is still some raised ghosting that i cant get off. i tried various chemicals , scrubbing etc etc. does anybody have a magic bullet other than sanding? ive done this type of thing before but never had such stubborn residue

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
UV did not fade the areas under the vinyl over the years. Same problem for the original name and hailing port on our boat when we bought it. The newly-revealed gel coat did fade to match the rest in about 3 years. Buffing will help some, but time is the answer.

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
problem is you can feel the areas are still raised ... i know what you mean about the fading / etc...

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes, acetone, then wash with ample water to avoid damage to the gell coat. Bar keeper friend may help polish the top surface.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Over time, gel coat oxides and becomes thinner due to weathering and polishing. The areas under the lettering and striping was protected from UV and weather and consequently did not oxidize or weather, thus it stands a little proud of the surrounding gelcoat.

There is no quick and easy way of removing it. Buffing out the hull with a mildly abrasive buffing compund, like Total Buff from Totalboat.com will help hide the ghost letters because the surface will have a uniform shine. Otherwise time will help as the now exposed gelcoat oxidizes and weathers blending into the surrounding areas.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I mentioned acetone as it should remove the residue. Goo gone itself works well but leaves a residue which is easily removed with alcohol and most likely acetone as well. Acetone evaporates too fast to do any noticeable damage unless you leave a soaked rag sitting on it. We frequently use vinegar, baking soda and melamine (magic eraser) sponges on the deck of our '78. Both the baking soda and sponge are mild abrasives. I wouldn't use these on a newer boat without more research. None of what I have mentioned will even out the UV effects.