Fuel locker and propane

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey everyone,

I have a propane outboard on my Capri 18. So far, I have an 11lb can of propane sitting in my cockpit when I sail. One of those composite cans that is supposed to be safer. It doesn’t get in the way much, but it’s a bit of an eyesore.

I think ignik makes a propane tank that will actually fit in my fuel locker, a 3.5 lb tank.

Regs say the locker must be sealed off from the cabin, and vented directly to the outside (I think the phrase is “directly overboard”). My fuel locker is sealed off from the cabin, and vented into the cockpit, right next to the cockpit scuppers. Propane is heavier than air and tends to flow like water. Water in the fuel locker flows outside very quickly.

I could probably drill a hole and add a vent from the locker through the transom, but it’s a little intimidating.

is it necessary?
I want to be in compliance, and more importantly, I’d prefer not to explode.

thanks,

john

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Good morning . It appears that your current setup will work quite well.I've also faced the thought of boring a hole through my transom.
Eventually ,I summoneed the courage to fire up the hole saw and plunged in. It wasn't that bad.
Just take care to really seal the inner transom by overboring the hole and using fiberglass and expoxy. There are quite a few through hulls that with make the new hole look like it came from the factory

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The locker needs to be vented over board and to air. The cockpit scuppers are likely exit underwater which would trap the propane in the cockpit and could eventually spill into the cabin. The drain should be vertical with no loops or places it could trap water thereby sealing the vent.

There are no USCG regulations regarding propane systems on recreational boats that do not carry passengers for hire. ABYC has standards for propane installations, however, ABYC Standards are voluntary standards, violation of them does not carry any legal penalty.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I recommend doing it 100% right. Drain the propane downhill, directly overboard. Measure three times, sleep on it, and come back the next day to do the cutting. Cutting holes in your boat is scary, but if you take your time I think you'll find that there's nothing to be afraid of. After all... it's just fiberglass.

I have seen my brand new tank, filled in cold weather, venting gas off as it warmed up. There doesn't necessarily need to be anything wrong with the tank in order for it to vent. I have also seen an old fill valve slowly vent an entire tank off.

Make sure your locker is 100% air tight and gasketed. I would strongly consider looking into a dedicated propane bottle container (Trident Marine makes them) to install in the locker if anything about your fuel locker's air-tightness raises eyebrows.

I'm a big fan of propane on a boat (I cook and heat with it), but it needs to be done right to be safe. Take every precaution.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Thanks for the input.
The solution might be mounting the gas can to the stern rail.

safe, effective, gets the tank off the cockpit floor, and lets me keep using the fuel locker for all the other stuff that has slipped in to fill the space since I took the gas can outta there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for the input.
The solution might be mounting the gas can to the stern rail.

safe, effective, gets the tank off the cockpit floor, and lets me keep using the fuel locker for all the other stuff that has slipped in to fill the space since I took the gas can outta there.
This probably the safest and cheapest option. It's a winner. ;):beer: