Finally, a warm day

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
It has finally warmed up while the sun is shining. This hasn't happened more than a couple of times this spring in Ohio. This time it was on a weekend! I don't have my new 170 registered yet, but that didn't stop me from playing with it in the driveway. I stepped the mast for the first time and practiced setting it up to sail. I tested my new Minn-kota too in a large tub of water and soldered a quick connector on the cable to plug into my two gel cells. I added snaps to the bottom of the sheet bag in the storage area. That way I can snap it to the floor while trailering. I fooled around with the jib, furling and unfurling, pretending I was on the water. I think I'll make a mount on the trailer to hold my Minn-kota this week. Maybe see if I can get it registered too. I can't wait for warmer weather!

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Good times!

Jerry, Ah, playing in the driveway IS fun! I've done the same thing with the jib (furling in and out) during a break from waxing the 170 in my driveway. I haven't had her on the water since late February-- been so darned busy down here. Let us know how your new 170 handles when you get 'er out on the water. Is the ice-out yet up there? The ice at my parents' lake house in northern Minnesota sometimes doesn't go out until late April/early May! Yow! Cheers, Mike G.

R

Rick S.

Spring fever

Jerry, A "dry run" to practice setting up a new boat is a great idea. Helps you become familiar with the boat,and ensures that you have all the parts and know how they go together. Saves time later at the launch site, where things can get hectic on crowded days. I bought my 170 late last summer and I've got the same itch to launch it. But the water here is still very cold --the inland lakes as well as Ontario -- and this early in the season there are few other boats out there to offer help if you get into trouble underway. Please let us know where and how you place the mount to transport the motor on the trailer. And also how and where you store your gels and how you keep them in place. One of the limitations of the 170 is a lack of enclosed storage. Some of us have installed eye straps onboard so we can lash down gear, coolers, etc. underway. I've towed my 170 with a 24-lb. 2hp motor clamped to the transom mount -- with the dealer's blessing -- but I've since heard that it's not a good idea. I'm always interested in other owners' solutions. In Ohio, will you have to register the boat as well as the trailer, because of the trolling motor? In New York, any boat with "mechanical propulsion" has to be registered, and I expect it's the same in many other states. Good luck.

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
went for a sail

I got a chance to sail one of the JY 15's at the sailing club this weekend, the air temp was in the 70's, but water temp was very cold - wore a wet suit just in case. The breeze stayed fairly light so no risk of a dip in the water. This inspired me to get my 170 in. I picked it up from storage and hope to get it up to the lake and in the water this weekend. I hope the weather holds as this will be the first time out in this new boat which I bought at the end of the season last year. We shall see!

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
JY15

David, Sounds like good times on the JY15 (ALWAYS good times while sailing!). This month's SAIL magazine or Sailing World (I can't remember for certain which mag) has a short article on JY15 club racing (with a great close-up pic from a race)! They look FAST! Mike G.

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
jy-15

Yes, the JY's are fun. Here is a photo from our club regatta last spring - a cold and windy day. However, JY's are very tender and are not comfortable at all. So that is why I bought a 170 for taking the family out. I am eager to see how it sails - I only sailed one on a very light wind day, 3 years ago. I did find it to be very comfortable.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Stuff to do.

In Ohio you have to register the trailer and the boat. You also have to title the boat (insures that you pay your taxes :)). If the motor is over 14hp, I think, you have to title that too. I'll take pictures of my motor storage mount when completed. The battery will be a challenge to find a good place. It's too bad one of the seats doesn't have a sealable compartment. I was thinking of making a battery box out of teak or mahogany with a couple of fold up wings for holding drinks or stuff. Then mounting it under the tiller with some sort of removable clamps/fastners/?. Besides some sort of wood trim just belongs on a sailboat. I don't like the idea of having this ugly battery box just sitting there. I'm happy to hear that others have braved the chilly water. Our ice has been gone for about a month now, but the water is still pretty chilly. The water looks inviting, but no one else is out on it yet either.

B

Brian

Ah, California!

Boy, I don't know how you people in the cold climates do it. Living here on the coast of So. Ca., if time and weather allow, I try to get out out once a week. If I don't, I start to get withdrawals. Anyway, I am not familiar with motors much but surmise that since you are talking about cells, it sound like you must be talking about an electric motor. Can you tell me what you bought and how it works. I bought my 170 last October and can't decide what to do about a motor. Thanks, Brian

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Registration of boat etc./same in Florida

Yeah, same thing in Florida, Jerry. Trailer & boat registration, as well as title all have to be in place before any boating fun can take place. I always bring the vessel registration card with me in the halyard bag of my 170, in case I get "pulled over" on the water. But I assume the registration sticker next to my vessel numbers are proof enough really.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Batteries Mounted - Picture

Yup, Ohio requires you to carry the paper registration on the boat as well. As for a motor I bought a Minn-kota Endura 46. I really don't know how well it will work yet since I haven't been in the water with it yet. The tub I tested the motor in doesn't count. I found a gray center console with cup holders at Mejier that will cover my battery mount. I've posted a picture in the Related Link below. It's a little darker than the storage cover in front. Anybody tried that new paint for plastic?

D

david

nice solution

Nice solution to the battery storage problem for the electric motor! I have not added a motor yet, thought I would wait a year to see if I really need one where I sail. I was struggling with gas or elec, if I were to get one, and am now leaning toward gas because of lighter weight and the battery storage problem. But it is nice to see such a nice solution if I go with elec. BTW - I rigged my 170 for the first time this weekend (remaining ice on the lake prevented sailing - the lake is further north than the one I sailed JY's on a week or so ago). I was amazed how easy and quick they are to rig. I only had to refer to the manual twice and that was just to confirm what I already thought! I am hoping I can launch in two weeks.

J

John Kivel

good things don't last forever

Hope you enjoyed the good weather. Last weekend it reached 80F here, today we have about 2 inches of snow on the ground. I am guessing that about 6 inches have fallen, it is melting as fast as it falls, still, you know how pretty the snow is in November. . .when it is almost May it just stinks! stay warm. John

D

Dick in MI

Weird weather, huh?

It was 80 this past Tues-Wed, today I have 2 inches of snow on the lawn and 6 inches on my deck, and they're saying 60-ish by Tuesday. The birds and the flowers are very confused by all of this. You can also throw in the fact that we went 2 1/2 weeks without precipitation until Friday, I actually had to water my lawn mid week(which I've not yet even mowed), and Mother Nature is definitely throwing a curve ball.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Weird Stuff

I almost put the pool furniture out last week. I did go to lunch a couple of days last week with the top down. Somehow I just knew it was a ruse. Kind of glad in a way. I still had to get my mower ready for spring. Now it's ready, but it's supposed to rain all week. This is a pretty typical Ohio weather pattern, but I'm finding it less interesting every year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.