Ethanol Free Gasoline - SE PA & South NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2009
2 Oday192 Tuckerton, NJ
Hello Everyone,

I live in south NJ and I'm looking for gas stations in SE PA and south NJ where I can buy ethanol free gas? I use the gas in a 4 HP 4 stroke Nissan OB.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you cannot find gasoline that you are certain is ethanol free then you must revert to using avgas.
The EPA defines automotive gasoline intended for use in airplanes to be "aviation" gasoline and therefore - exempt from regulations requiring oxygenates such as ethanol. Therefore non-ethanol, conventional gasoline may be transported into some states which are not otherwise restricted by state statute to sell ethanol blends. Not sure what PA or NJ requires but in many states, you can easily find gas stations selling E-free gas. If not, try your local airport.

Apr 22, 2009
2 Oday192 Tuckerton, NJ
Don,

Thanks for the reply. I occassionally travel to more rural areas of PA and can find ethanol free gas there, but in more populated areas (Philadelphia) of PA I can't find any ethanol free stations.

Any idea what a mfg'er would say about the effect of avgas on a 4 HP 4-stroke OB? I'm not even going to ask about warranty.

Thanks.

Tim

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm not sure the mfg would know. Avgas takes many forms, some of which differ only in their octane rating and vapor pressure. I've used it in my 2-stroke - it's not a problem.
Don't know what to extrapolate from that.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Why do you need the ethanol free gas? Does Nissan state you cant use it?
My old 1998 honda 4 stroke ran fine with it. The manual even stated it was okay.

Manny

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
If you have separation problems...

* Keep the tank full. Fill it when you come in.
* Make sure the fill cap does not leak,. That is the problem 90% of the time.
* Get a separator with a drain valve. Very handy if 1 and 2 don't work.

As for the Nissan, it will run fine and will not be harmed. I have been running mine on e-10 for years.

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
Why do you need the ethanol free gas? Does Nissan state you cant use it?
My old 1998 honda 4 stroke ran fine with it. The manual even stated it was okay.

Manny
My truck runs ok with it. But it runs noticably smoother on ethanol free fuel, with more power available, and I get roughly 30 miles more per tank full.
Also, it doesn't store as well, with 'real' gasoline, I could always let it sit in the garage over winter and run it in the motorcycle or lawnmower in the spring with no problem. With ethanol, stored in the same can, same garage etc, it doesn't run for crap unless I mix fresh fuel with it.

Ken.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Ethanol fuels are less stable, and have shorter shelf life than the previous MTBE-based formulations. This is because the ethanol is highly hygroscopic and will separate out once it has absorbed about 1.5% water by volume. The remaining gasoline will be about 82 octane... since the ethanol is the primary octane booster in ethanol blend gasolines.

Maxi

May 15, 2007
-Paceship -PY26 Midland, Ontario
The last gas in Ontario without ethanol is Shell Premium. This may end soon tho.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
The real reason for ethanol in gasoline is the donations made by the large agricorps like ADM... :) not the environment or fuel economy or reducing dependence on foreign oil.

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
A lot of it is also 'feel good' (Hey we're using renewable energy!)

My view is that if you want a renewable energy source, use the materials you'd otherwise make alchohol from in a burner to run a steam turbine and generate electricity, it would be more efficient overall.

Ken.

Apr 22, 2009
2 Oday192 Tuckerton, NJ
Non-Ethanol Fuel

Hello Everyone,

I started this queation thread because tthe ethanol gasoline in my 4 HP, 4 stroke Nissan OB doesn't get used up quickly enough, sits in the tank, and absorbs moisture from the air. I try to turn it over often but using ethanol- free gas is so much easier when I can find it. I only use the OB to get from my slip out into open water and back. Or when the wind dies which doesn't happen much here in NJ.

Someone mentioned Av gas and i stopped at the local county airport today. They sell 100LL Av gas but noe of the teenagers working there knew anything about what's in it. I believe the 100 is the octane rating and I suspect that the LL means low lead (but not unleaded). Can anyone confirm what 100 LL means.

My outboard manual recommends a minimum octane rating of 87 (91 based on the research octane rating method).

By the way, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, says there is no such thing as "renewable energy sources". Some energy sources emit less carbon, and some are cheaper than others, but NONE are actually renewable - especially wind and solar!

Anyone have any thoughts on 100 LL Av Gas?

Tim

A

apierion

100LL is 100 octane Low Lead

I'm pretty sure 100LL is 100 octane low-lead.

Also looking for non-avgas E0.

-tj

Hello Everyone,

I started this queation thread because tthe ethanol gasoline in my 4 HP, 4 stroke Nissan OB doesn't get used up quickly enough, sits in the tank, and absorbs moisture from the air. I try to turn it over often but using ethanol- free gas is so much easier when I can find it. I only use the OB to get from my slip out into open water and back. Or when the wind dies which doesn't happen much here in NJ.

Someone mentioned Av gas and i stopped at the local county airport today. They sell 100LL Av gas but noe of the teenagers working there knew anything about what's in it. I believe the 100 is the octane rating and I suspect that the LL means low lead (but not unleaded). Can anyone confirm what 100 LL means.

My outboard manual recommends a minimum octane rating of 87 (91 based on the research octane rating method).

By the way, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, says there is no such thing as "renewable energy sources". Some energy sources emit less carbon, and some are cheaper than others, but NONE are actually renewable - especially wind and solar!

Anyone have any thoughts on 100 LL Av Gas?

Tim

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Timothy, Your situation is nearly identical to mine. While I'm not sailing this year while recovering from a knee replacement, normal years especially on a lake has me using the motor the same way as you(mine's a merc 4st/hp). I always joke with my powerboat friends that I put 6 gallons into my tank in april and pour 5 of them into my car in october. I converted a portable tank to fully vented below decks but removable which allows for this. HOWEVER, without using fuel stabilizer, My carb needed replacing(so says the outboard shop) a couple of years ago. This was from no stabilizer but running motor dry every time. :cussing:

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Valvtect Marinas

Tim,

Our marina uses Valvtect fuel. Here's their marina locator link. http://www.valvtect.com/marina_search.asp

Ethanol free I believe. At least I can say that I've never had any problem with their gas. I keep mine in a 3 gallon steel tank for my Yamaha.

Maybe you can find one of these marinas near you.

JerryA

Oct 14, 2009
Hunter H23 Barnegat NJ
Tim

Also SNJ, My marina is mostly sail (no gas) but I asked the nearby marina that sells gas about "marine" gas (ethanol free) and was told that they just do not distribute or supply it in south Jersey. I have heard rumors that it is available in PA as you mention. I live across from Bristol PA about 25 mi north of Philly (the infamous Burlington-Bristol Bridge) where there is a marina but have never checked it out myself. There are also some other Marina's on the PA side which may have it but have never seen any regular auto stations with ethanol free.

Robert G

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
avgas is leaded. even the 100 LL (low lead) has more lead in it than old fashion leaded regular gasoline. i am not sure if it would be legal to use a leaded fuel on an inland lake anymore, but either way, it doesn't seem like a good idea to be putting lead into the water.

airplanes has been exempted due to the fact most small planes use old technology engines and need the lead to lube the values. the high cost of certification prevents newer engines to be developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.