Dropping rudder on 11.0A

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
S2 11.0A Muskegon, Michigan
I figured I’d start a new thread (apologies if that’s not preferred) on dropping the rudder because I couldn’t find another recent thread on it.

With dropping the rudder on my 1981 S2 11.0C, I’m wondering if there any tips on removing the square bolt that’s wired to the post below the quadrant?

Seems like it will either require completely disassembling the quadrant to get at it from the top, or squeezing my whole body through the engine bay, or the port lazarette in the cockpit, or the small hatch behind the starboard aft berth. All of those options seem problematic, and involve removing equipment that is blocking the path. And then…getting that bolt back in seems even trickier.

I saw a 2021 discussion of this on the S2 Facebook group, but no replies about accessing that bolt.

There are also a few other unanswered questions…whether or not it’s necessary to take apart the stuffing box or loosen the packing nut.

Would love any tips you all have!

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
One of many challenges you will encounter dropping the rudder, I believe.

I believe that is a set screw of some sort, does it go through the shaft?

Remove the wire seizing, and use an 8-point socket, which should fit on the square bolt. You will probably need a long extension so you can move a ratchet back and forth to back out the set screw. I am assuming if you can see the screw as in your photo, you can reach it with a socket extension.

You might want to spray some liquid Wrench, Krioil or rust penetrator a few days. Before you start. It doesn’t look too crusty, but I don’t know if you have a dissimilar metal issue there or not.

Are You planning tom drop the rudder? If so, you will have to remove the quadrant and all of the stuff attached to the shaft, so if you are dropping the rudder, no reason not to start at the top.

Good luck,

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You’re going to want to be a lot closer to the bolts than 6 feet. If stuff is in the way, choose the best path that gives you access. The quadrant will be gripping the shaft with bolts that clamp the quadrant to the shaft. They need to be loosened in addition to removing the through bolt and clipping the wire tie. Mark the quadrant and the shaft. Putting them back together means you need to align both correctly. Secure the rudder in place. The words “dropping the rudder” are figurative. You want to lower it in a controlled manner. It will be heavy.

Regarding the quadrant, mark all the wires/cables so you can get them back to the proper place (tension) should you need to loosen anything.:biggrin:

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
So far, the main thing give me trouble is that skeg boot. It looks like it’s been taken off once before and glued back in place. I saw some other threads entioned cutting it off. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I was assuming that I wouldn’t have to cut off the entire substructure that it slides over, but so far it won’t budge. Tried 1200 degrees of heat, and hammering at it every which way but still no luck.

I can’t imagine cutting the whole thing off, then trying to rebuild the substructure and keeping any structural integrity intact. Any ideas?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
No, I would not cut off the bottom of the rudder unless you plan to buy or fabricate a new one.

Is there some sort of hinge pin or something that hold the bottom of the rudder in place?

Remind me of the goal here? Drop the rudder to repair this bottom area?

If the skeg boot is so tight, I would be thinking about fixing the rudder in place…

what exactly is wrong with it? Just the bottom we see in the photo?

Greg

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
Got the rudder off, had to chip away at the skeg boot for about 4 hours. Used a heat gun, chiseled, hammered and chiseled some more until it broke free. Unfortunately, it was glued on so well that when it came off I discovered we simply chipped through fiberglass and left a good chunk of it in the boot.

I’m not sure if it’s worth chiseling away the rest and rebuilding the part that broke off or just gluing it back in place and glassing over. Any opinions here?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
I think you are going to have to clean out the boot to get rid of the old fiberglass and glue, and rebuild the bottom of the skeg that broke off.

I don’t think you ca glue the old pieces in a way that would be strong enough. The skeg and boot are pretty critical to the ability to steer the boat (not to mention you would hate to lose the new rudder you are buying).

Once you are done with these projects, you will know the boat well, and have it in ship-shape.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Got the rudder off, had to chip away at the skeg boot for about 4 hours. Used a heat gun, chiseled, hammered and chiseled some more until it broke free. Unfortunately, it was glued on so well that when it came off I discovered we simply chipped through fiberglass and left a good chunk of it in the boot.
Ain't we got fun!

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
I’m curious what others think about the boot? From some of the other post I’ve seen, the boot was barely adhered and came off easily once the glass was cut. others mention putting a stainless through the which my previous owner did. Between the metal dowel and some roving, I’m wondering if that should be enough?