Does anybody know what size wire or threaded rod life lines are on Catalina 320, 2004

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
I want to attach 2 Pelican Hooks on my life lines for easy access off the bow. But cant order without knowing the size wire or size threaded rod used for the lifelines.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Wire is 3/16 coated to 5/16, threaded studs are 5/16-24. The pelican hook is shorter than the lifeline stud and turnbuckle on bow pulpit you plan to replace so check for length.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I simply added a pelican hook to the end toggle and there was enough room in the turnbuckles to take up the slack. If I'm not mistaken, the toggle was secured to the pulpit with a clevis pin, so I didn't have to replace a stud or anything like that. It was easy. Your set-up may be different. I have gates at the aft end because previous owner always came on board at the stern. Now, I have gates at all 4 corners.

It was a nuisance to have loose lifelines when the pelican hook was released, but I added a clamp at the first stanchion, which keeps the life lines tight when the gate is open.

Wire is 3/16 coated to 5/16, threaded studs are 5/16-24. The pelican hook is shorter than the lifeline stud and turnbuckle on bow pulpit you plan to replace so check for length.
Great info, BTW. My next step is to replace the coated lifelines and go with bare wire.

Aug 7, 2023
Great info I am going to order now! Thanks

Aug 7, 2023
I simply added a pelican hook to the end toggle and there was enough room in the turnbuckles to take up the slack. If I'm not mistaken, the toggle was secured to the pulpit with a clevis pin, so I didn't have to replace a stud or anything like that. It was easy. Your set-up may be different. I have gates at the aft end because previous owner always came on board at the stern. Now, I have gates at all 4 corners.

can you describe the clamp you use to keep the pelican hook secure behind the first stanchion?

It was a nuisance to have loose lifelines when the pelican hook was released, but I added a clamp at the first stanchion, which keeps the life lines tight when the gate is open.

Great info, BTW. My next step is to replace the coated lifelines and go with bare wire.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have something like this: https://www.ruland.com/mcl-5e-ss.ht...YwL6JpKQ9h6fA-Q1PKXA1nWs-tlcGgPwaAvGyEALw_wcB Because it is one piece, you have to take the turnbuckle off to slide the rod thru. Split collars are made, but probably not in this small size.

These keep the lifeline from going completely slack, but they don't keep it as tight as I'd like. I think the problem is that the set screw always gives way against the soft cover material.

This type of clamp may work better, but is less elegant, I think. https://defender.com/en_us/wichard-...s4vkJCTU4HNZq7yDb5S4cEjlw67YB92UaAj86EALw_wcB

I just noticed Defender also sells the Hayn gate-stop collar, and it is probably what I used.