Distance sailing your Capri 22

nemier

Dec 1, 2009
Mini Cat 420 Panama
Does anyone here distance sail (and cruise) their Capri 22? I understand that most people did not buy their Capri 22 for this purpose, but perhaps there are a few of you are doing this because you are cruising the only boat you own. If so, how was your experience? Did you find yourself with enough room for yourselves and your supplies? Enough water storage? Was the boat fast enough? How did the boat handle the rough weather? How did the "no toilet, no shower" work out??
...the reason I ask is: I want my future sailboat to be as small as possible, and sail well, (think Webb Chiles / Moore 24) ...but do you find the Capri 22 too small / inappropriate??
Look forward to hear from you.

nemier

Dec 1, 2009
Mini Cat 420 Panama
Wow, 67 views and no replies?
Silence speaks volumes, I guess
I take from this then, that no one here is cruising their Capri 22 or distance sailing with it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There's a guy sailing around the world in a 2ft boat. There's probably some crazy fellow out there that's done the same in a C22. There's no real limit but know your own skills as well as what you and your boat can handle

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I cruised for years on Lake Ontario in a Tanzer 22, at times with a wife, teen, and a dog. Being young helps. Think of cruising in a small boat as backpacking, you only carry what you absolutely need. The beer will be warm unless you have ready access to lots of ice. A port-a-potty also helps.

I much prefer cruising in my current boat. Then again, I'm 35 years older.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I am totally down with the "as small as possible" idea and you certainly can do short cruises on a Capri/Catalina 22, many people have. They are great boats which is why they are so popular. But if you are looking for a pocket cruiser, there are better boats in that size range for cruising capability. The Pearson Arial, ComPaq, and Cape Dory come to mind. I'm sure there are others. My own Jeanneau 23 has a regular enclosed head, full galley with 15 gallons fresh water, and dedicated berths (no dinette conversion at night) that make living aboard much more pleasant for one or two people. I have a solar camp shower which works great (most of the time). I can go about a week comfortably without touching shore.

If you need more, there are small blue water boats such as the Flicka or Dana. Pricey and more difficult to tow, but quite capable.