Deckfill CAP from CD question

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
There is a note on the website that says it is reported that the smaller deckfills (1" inlet) have trouble fitting unless you remove the security screw.

I bought some, and indeed they didn't fit until I removed the screw, but I really don't like not having a security chain on the stainless heavy sinkable caps. Any creative suggestions?
deckfills.jpg

And, YES, the security chain was rotated to the inside, not like the photo.
stainlessdeckfill.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've never seen a chain on the outside of a cap, but it's a good idea 'cuz a chain on the inside of a deck waste fitting cap would prevent the dock pumpout connection from sealing...no seal =no vacuum = no pumpout. I always made sure to put the cap somewhere INSIDE the hull so it couldn't fall overboard.

--Peggie

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2014
I always made sure to put the cap somewhere INSIDE the hull so it couldn't fall overboard.
--Peggie
So, is that just the "norm"? Everybody deals with the chance of dropping it, but tries to be careful? Rather than going out of the way to secure them?
From what I can tell, only my diesel cap had a functioning safety chain.

Jul 11, 2023
catalina 30 sandusky
Jim, do those Fill caps you linked fit the existing OEM deck plates? i.e. can I just buy teh replacement cap and screw it into the existing deck plate or do I have to change out the plate to fit those caps? my original water ones on their last leg!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Those "security chains" have been the bane of many a sailor, when not if their deck cap fell overboard because the chain failed. Decades ago we have been cautioning skippers to remove them upon purchase because of that, and what's so hard about taking the cap off a putting it someplace secure for ten minutes?

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Jim, do those Fill caps you linked fit the existing OEM deck plates?
My guess is yes.

But you can ask by sending a Question to the Owner of the site.

Most parts are now consolidated in Gainesville, Florida Warehouse.

Jim...

PS: click my link and Contact US is shown.

Jun 2, 2014
My guess is yes.

But you can ask by sending a Question to the Owner of the site.

Most parts are now consolidated in Gainesville, Florida Warehouse.

Jim...

PS: click my link and Contact US is shown.
It was my understanding that they do NOT fit the original Swedish designed deck fills. But I could be wrong. The posts I remember researching that used those other deck fill caps were of a different deck fill fitting or had been replaced.