Cosmetic Blisters? 10 to 15% of Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bert

Charlie, I am considering purchasing a 1989 used Catalina sailboat. The owner gave me the survery that she had done 2 years ago when she bought the boat. When the surveyor checked the bottom he remarked, " There were signs of cosmetic blister over approximately 10-15 percent of the bottom. The bottom was measured for moisture content using a moisture meter. It read 10-12 on the meter. This would be considered good for a vessel of this age." I have heard so many horror stories about blisters. Is this something that I should be worried about? Should I even consider purchasing this boat? I will definitely get my own survey done when I put an offer on a boat; but I am wondering if I should even consider this one with the blisters. What exactly are "cosmetic blisters?" What does a reading of "10-12" mean? The broker I talked to said that he suspects the blisters may been in the bottom paint. Not the gelcoat. Is that possible? Thanks, Bert

cory h

Mar 23, 2005
Oday 28 kemah tx - Menestheus
get your owne survey

dont depend on a buyers survey thats 2 yrs old get your owne !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 26, 2004
Macgregor 26X Denton Co. TX USA
Salt it

Take a little salt with anything a broker says, more if he's the one selling you a boat. Bubbles are possible in paint, but it's not often the case except in professional jobs. I'd think gelcoat is involved. Get a competent surveyor to do a new survey.

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
If they were properly repaired,

it might be ok. But do get your own surveyer and ask him.

B

Bert

Own Survey

Don't worry. I am not going to depend on the buyer's 2 year old survey. I will absolutely get my own survey done. I just wanted to take a look at the seller's 2-year-old survey before I signed a purchase agreement and went down the path of paying for a survey and haulout. I figured it might give me a sense of the boats condition. I also figured the seller wouldn't mind sharing it with me if there were not any problems. But then I read the part about the blisters. Maybe I should just stick with my O'Day 25. It's a good old boat afterall.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't be afraid of blisters.

cosmetic blisters are not uncommon on boats of that era. By cosmetic I believe the surveyor to be mean they do not threaten the hull's integrity. You can always make your purchase contingent on the boat's survey. If the surveyor lifts the boat up to check the hull he can tell you how serious the problem is. You can also figure the cost of repair into your offer. Here's a link to a Don Casey article about blister repair. I wouldn't lose a good deal on a boat because it needed a little blister repair, however, I would want as much info as possible before proceeding.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Blisters

Bert, blister sa re not he kiss of death to a boat that many people beleive they are. More than anything they are unsightly rather thatn a true structural issue. I would certainly keep my eye on them and make sure they don';t get much worse. As far as the meter reading depending on the meter that was used that is pretty much in the dry range or slightly moi9st. Again I wouldn't give it to much consideration as all as the percussion sounding doesn't give any indication of delamination or voids. As far as the blisters in the bottom paint I guess I learn something every day :)I don't think SOOOOOOOOOO Charlie Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.