Correct size packing for stuffing box?

Oct 18, 2021
Hunter 45 CC Boston
We have a 2008 Hunter 45 CC and was looking for correct size and maybe some tips on how to install new packing seal for the stuffing box?

Thanks
Jim

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Good morning, Jim. A hooked dental pic works pretty well getting the old stuff out. I use 3/16" PTFE material on ours. One ring at a time. Alternate each ring cut. Apply anti-seize compound to the box threads before reassembly.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Compass Marine has a comprehensive video on this. Well worth the time to watch if you are going to do this.

• Helpful
Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
3/16" or 1/4". How do you know?
You can calculate the size by taking two measurements: the diameter of the prop shaft and the diameter of the threads behind the packing nut. Subtracting those two and dividing by two will give you the packing size. You probably should use calipers for these measurements. It's a good idea to have a set of 0-6" digital, dial or vernier calipers aboard for various precision measuring tasks.

Our 41AC has a 1-1/4" prop shaft and uses 1/4" packing. To be sure, buy both sizes and return the one that you don't use afterward.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
How do you know?
You're welcome, Jim. Effort! Our boat has the standard bronze stuffing box with a 1-1/4" prop shaft. No way can I get 1/4" into that box unless I hammered it in. I've been using 3/16" for years (seven to ten years) with good results and even tempted to go with 1/8" because of how difficult it was to install 3/16". Your picture appears to be of the same product that I use. Low friction, good seal, lasts for years.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Don't forget to check your manual which likely has the packing size specified.

However, I've heard wild rumors on this very forum that for less leakage you might be able to get by with slightly oversized packing as long as it's well lubricated using the aforementioned PTFE or GTU/GFO packing and maybe a little SYNTEF lubricant for good measure.

Do We Really Need to Leak ............. | Sailboat Owners Forums