cleaning out head calcium

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
How long can i leave the head in a solution of 12 to 1 muriatic acid and how best to dispose of the solution when done. Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
How long can i leave the head in a solution of 12 to 1 muriatic acid
Not too long if the head has metallic parts. Maybe advise us as to what make the head is.

As far as disposal goes, neutralize SAFELY using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or Liquid Plumber and then dump down the drain followed by lots of water.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The acid won't bother the porcelain and probably not the plastic. Metal parts are at risk.

At 12:1 you can just pour down a drain into the sewer system. The primary by products are water and calcium chloride. Baking soda will also neutralize the acid.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If there's mineral buildup in the toilet, there has to be mineral buildup in the hoses too...I've seen it reduce the diameter of 1.5" hose to < 1/2". The recommended use for muriatic (aka hydrochloric) acid is , Flush all the way to the tank, follow with clean FRESH water after 45- 60 minutes. Repeat if necessary.

A cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed all the way through to the tank once a week will prevent mineral buildup but is too labor intensive--vinegar must be replaced hourly--a detail that people who claim that vinegar won't work overlook--to use to remove it.

--Peggie

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I used to have a lot of trouble with this. I would get a solid shale buildup on the sides of the tank that would eventually flake off and block the outlet. I could back flush which would move the shale away from the opening and get some additional pumping until it plated back over the hole. Very frustrating.

The only way to get it all out was to reach in through the top clean out port and take it out that way. NOT FUN. about 5/10 years ago, I switched to Zeel NoFlex Digester and I have not had that problem since.