CCFL 6” Diameter upgrade. Very cool!!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Well, this ended up being a big job. But, glad that I put all the effort into it.

For those of you who have the original 6” CCFL ceiling lights, I think we can all agree that they were basically awful. I’ve seen better lighting in an underground cave.

The problem is that the white balance of the CCFL tubes is an awful yellow; at best

bcbffee6-9376-4a53-a469-24a54f9a11b4-jpeg.215952.jpg

I’ve got 10 fixtures aboard, and really needed to think about how I was going to proceed

I know that on the SBO store they have 6” fixtures, but I had issues with these. They didn’t have the spring clip retaining clamps (which hold the light into the existing housing)

This meant drilling holes in the flange, and screwing it to the head liner. I just thought that wouldn’t look nice. Plus, the original fixtures, (which were quite expensive) had a really nice chrome ring look to them. The replacements are painted white.

Also, colour temperature was a huge issue for me. I needed to ensure that the Color temp matched all the other led lighting I’ve customized aboard.

I looked around to every supplier, and just couldn’t find a perfect drop in.

So,,,, decided to roll my own.

This entailed taking the existing fixtures, and basically stripping them down to bare bones.

b9db2cdc-bae6-4659-8a87-b8db0d091f7e-jpeg.215948.jpg

This is what I ripped out of them. Basically everything.

c8e08742-996d-4b51-b3b2-3e91dd43bb3d-jpeg.215950.jpg

I then spent a ridiculous amount of time experimenting with:

Different led types

Mounting methods so that you wouldn’t have “hot spots”

I settled on a very neat led technology called COB (chip on board). Extremely uniform light, and very low current. It is exactly the Color temperature of the white plastic lens plate, which helps to uniformly distribute the light across the surface

I went with the Color temperature called “Nature White”. It’s much better than Cool White, which has too much blue in it. And, of course I made everything dimmable with wireless remotes so that even down to low levels, the intensity is 100% uniform across the lens.

And, here’s what the new lights look like once illuminated. This is about 75% brightness.

d5c7bc66-691a-4867-9aab-2d157e0bfb1f-jpeg.215955.jpg

And, even down to about 30% intensity, the lighting is very even

IMG_3506.jpeg

But, this project wouldn’t have been an Artboas original, if I didn’t do something a little special . And insanely difficult.

Which brings me to “Night Mode”

By turning the switch to “night setting” (which is automatically linked when running lights are on), the lights now look like this

IMG_3504.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

In all honesty, this project ended up being a lot more complicated than what I originally bargained for. In addition to hours of experimenting, modifying all of the fixtures (about 1 hour per fixture), there was a lot of “reconfiguring” the boat’s wiring. This included running all new cabling to accommodate the “night mode” setting.

If anyone is interested in undertaking this project, I’ll be happy to share the 100 or so photos I took every step of the way.

For those of you wondering, this led system is not RGB, or 2812-based. On RGB lights I could not get the white Color temperature I wanted, as they are not designed for this. So, I needed to incorporate 2 separate led elements into each fixture, which complicated the design a bit. I tried the path of integrating 3 watt high intensity leds, but this gave noticeable hot spots; no matter how I tried to diffuse them.

IMG_3037.jpeg

Plus, it required installing current limiting power supplies in each fixture, which was a nightmare of an experiment.

IMG_3034.jpeg

As stated, this ended up being a very complicated undertaking.

But, I’m thrilled with the results. If I could have bought these fixtures, I would have gladly done so. Having said that, I’m really pleased with the end result .

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A great and rewarding job! Congrats.

Be sure to leave the documentation of your efforts on board. I can see the post now from the next owner, "I have these lights and I need to fix them, but can't find the manufacturer....." :biggrin::beer:

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
FYI...
I rewired my boat 15 years ago and replaced all the incandescent bulbs with Marine Beam LED's.
I also replaced all the lenses with new.

If it's a dark and stormy night, all I want is light! :biggrin:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Very cool project and result. I would like to have the same setup.

In thinking about doing this, I thought I would make some kind of bulb and socket arrangement such that simply reversing the polarity would switch them from white to red, and I therefore wouldn't have to rewire.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

In thinking about doing this, I thought I would make some kind of bulb and socket arrangement such that simply reversing the polarity would switch them from white to red, and I therefore wouldn't have to rewire.
That would depend on your fixtures.
But, you’re in for re-wiring
Most of the fixtures are wired common ground, and the ground wire will be going a lot of places.
I’m also not sure you can get a single high output socketed led that’s bi-color
You’ll need to do some research on that
In my update, I used 2 independent led strips. Not simple, but it worked quite well

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

I just re-read this
Sorry, but that won’t work.
The lights are wired with a common ground, which wires throughout the boat. You’d have to run all new ground wires, which aren’t actually “ground” any more. They are just one of 2 reversible positive legs. (DPDT)
Good thought though ….,