Catalina 34 MK II Compression Block Repair or Replace?

jbmia

Jul 22, 2021
Beneteau 323 S. Florida
Hey Folks,

It seems this topic's come up in the past, so I'm just looking for a little confirmation and feedback here.. For experienced owners out there, based on pics below of the compression block area, does this look like a case where I could just grind and fill with epoxy or am I looking at pulling the mast & compression post and glassing in a new compression block? If replace, what are the ramifications of putting it off until I can haul out maybe 9 months out... The boat is otherwise very good and well maintained condition, with no major signs of rot... Much appreciation for any guidance.

8FA4DD09-8513-4CCE-ADA6-8AF88A32A6BA_1_102_o.jpeg
53C0C642-EA6B-4C50-87D4-E90FE04E9EB2_1_102_o.jpeg
C74A9F47-5E32-4894-8544-201C5FA760FF_1_102_o.jpeg

Last edited:

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I did this job on a C30.. Took a day at the yard with the mast down. First, I dug out the old block which pretty much had turned to mush. I chose to replace the block with Trex lumber. This material was chosen because it has minimal water absorption. The Trex has a published compressive strength of 900 psi- far higher than the requirement. (approx 25 s.in x 900 = over 20,000 pounds). The material was easy to trim/shape with a plane and saw. I glued the layers together with glass filled auto repair putty. The last two layers were wedges with points facing each other so the height could be adjusted. There are many other solutions - oak blocks covered with epoxy - which I would never use, various screw type jacks - to me these would have to be stainless steel, replace in-kind with teak- expensive and difficult to shape. at the same time, check to see you also don't have a deck depression due separately from the compression block. Also, you can plan on using a jack to raise the cabin roof to the correct elevation. You can use the margins around the head door or place a straight edge across the cabin sole to judge it. Good luck

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
For experienced owners out there,
Then you really should go to the Catalina 34 Forum and while well meaning, you can ignore the C30 advice because it's for a different boat built by the same company.

It appears to me (owner of a Mark I 1986 C34) that your PO might well have hit something because the damage seems from your photos to be from an impact which jarred the material loose. You have a Mark II which is a slightly different boat.

Ask on the C34 forum.

jbmia

Jul 22, 2021
Beneteau 323 S. Florida
Hmm. I don't see any loose laminate around the rest of the keel as if there were an impact down there... Seems to be limited to the compression block area.. did you mean an impact with the mast? I did go to the C34 forum first, but didn't see a lot of activity so thought it would make sense to check there first. Thanks for the feedback..

s
Then you really should go to the Catalina 34 Forum and while well meaning, you can ignore the C30 advice because it's for a different boat built by the same company.

It appears to me (owner of a Mark I 1986 C34) that your PO might well have hit something because the damage seems from your photos to be from an impact which jarred the material loose. You have a Mark II which is a slightly different boat.

Ask on the C34 forum.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I did go to the C34 forum first, but didn't see a lot of activity so thought it would make sense to check there first. Thanks for the feedback..
You're very welcome.
As far as "activity" it's not the quantity but the quality that counts. :) Isn't that a beer commercial? :yikes: Any boat-specific forum is bound to have less by the clock activity than one like this that covers literally every single boat ever made, plus jviss' cooking and electronics sub-forums. :banghead:
I urge you to post your excellent photos on our C34 forum, there are many with Mark II experiences who are quite active. Remember, it's free to register, just like here. I "do both", too. :biggrin:

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Here's the TSB from Catalina for repair of the compression post block on a C34, if you have evidence it has failed best to plan on having to replace.
1695686978286.png

• Helpful