Catalina 25 floor access panels

Aug 11, 2022
Catalina C-25 Lake Idaho Springs
Hello,
I have a "new to me" 1982 C25. What are the wooden access panels for in the floor of the cabin? I pulled them today and there was water under the panels. We had the boat out yesterday, so I'm not sure if this is old or new water. My thought is, if the water came in yesterday through a leak, wouldn't the water "leak" back out?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Water will only leak back out if the leak point is at a low spot. It’s more often that a leak would be higher up, and the water just runs down into the bilge and sits there.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I had an '81 C25 from 87 to 98 great boat.

Wouldn't an option for you to be to leave the panel(s) off and see what happens? It's been 25 years since I owned that boat, so I don't recall all the details, but do know that most Catalina's wooden soles are just screwed on above fiberglass below.

Is yours a fixed or retractable keel? That could start helping us to help you.

Since this boat is new to you, are you aware of the Catalina25 website & forum?

Aug 11, 2022
Catalina C-25 Lake Idaho Springs
The wood access panels are screwed to the floor. It has the retractable keel. I sponged out about 20 gallons of water yesterday. The only spot I found on the hull that would/could have let water in is a small hole in the aft of the boat below the cockpit drain holes (see pic). Is this hole supposed to be there, or did a previous owner put it there? It seems a little low for a bilge exhaust.
1660495052697.png

1660495090729.png

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
Hi I had a cracked water valve from my fresh water tank that did the same thing. I filled the water tank up in the spring and mid summer I had no fresh water . This was my first season with the boat and this was my first surprise. There have been a few others.........

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 25 Wilson NY
Hello,
I have a "new to me" 1982 C25. What are the wooden access panels for in the floor of the cabin? I pulled them today and there was water under the panels. We had the boat out yesterday, so I'm not sure if this is old or new water. My thought is, if the water came in yesterday through a leak, wouldn't the water "leak" back out?
Check for a loose rudder gudgeon. My 25 leaked there when underway and the water rose at the stern. Took on quite a bit of water during the course of an afternoon race.