Cat 30 Windlass

PeteT

May 2, 2023
Catalina 30 Channel Islands, CA (Oxnard)
I am considering installing an electric windlass on my 1980 CAT 30. I am perplexed as to where to install it and my search on the internet was not very helpful. Any ideas? Is it doable? Not as young as I used to be :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ny ideas? Is it doable? Not as young as I used to be :)
There are lots more C30 owners in this link that are lurking here. Good luck.

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
When searching for information on a windlass install on any boat, nobody can offer any useful advice until we've seen numerous pictures of the proposed location. Expert windlass installers on this site probably don't have your boat. Let's see where this one goes.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Any ideas? Is it doable? Not as young as I used to be :)
First thing, Welcome to the SBO forum.
answers to your questions:
Yes
Yes
An observation: Aren’t we all!

Two basic windlass models.
Vertical and Horizontal.
Ralph is spot on about the pictures thing. It is difficult to share reasonable ideas in the blind. We have no idea how your boat is configured. Un like Fords and Chevys not all Catalina 30’s are identical. Some owners change things.

Stu’s shared links will give you great insight. Like stepping onto a marina and finding a thousand Catalina 30’s gathering together.

For the pictures, take an image, attach it to your message using the “attach files” button. Or copy the image and paste it in this thread.

Looking forward to your next post.

Here is an image of my windlass. I too wanted to make my life easier, where no windlass had been before.
IMG_4342.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO and Catalina 30 ownership.
Here's a photo of my anchor locker when I purchased my 1993 Mk2 C30. Access to the motor itself is thru a removable panel in the v-berth.
The round black button is the raise button.
Your 80 Mk1 model will probably look different but maybe this will give you an idea.

IMG_0833.JPG

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Just could not help yourself. Had to raise your kilt too Ralph.. :biggrin:

PeteT

May 2, 2023
Hi all:
Thank you for all your quick responses. As advised here is the anchor locker both open and closed. I am also searching for other C30 boats in the marina with one installed, still on that search.

Pete

Attachments

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Aw crap, looks like the same old problem of limited room in which to mount a vertical windlass. If you search the archives, you will find several articles by people who have successfully mounted sturdy windlass platforms within lockers similar to yours. See if you can find several of those and we can go from there.

PeteT

May 2, 2023
Yeah I thought that may be a problem. I'll search as you suggested.

Pete

PeteT

May 2, 2023
I was thinking. If I installed a vertical windlass aft of the locker, could not I feed the rode back into anchor locker?
Thoughts?

Pete

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The Mk. I Catalina 36 is similar. Mine had a vertical capstan windlass which I loved, a Maxwell-Nilsson. It was mounted after of the locker, and projected into the V-berth, but the motor was at a right angle, so no too obtrusive. There was a large wood backing plate inside, as I recall. (It's funny how you can sleep in a boat for 17 summers and not recall the details well.)

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
The Vertical windlass will draw the chain in wrap it around the windlass 180 degrees and spit it out back towards the anchor locker.

PeteT

May 2, 2023
Thanks John:
Helps a lot. You guys have answered many questions !!!!