Canadian dilemma

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
So, it's bottom paint time. Plan is to take it down to gel coat and start fresh. Currently coated with CSC. That formula is now different up here with a "CA" for Canada eh?
Found quote below at SA., which means multi day for multi coats. Which I can deal with except makes it a pita to do bottom of keel. See avatar.
Anyone used Petit Horizon? Has marginally shorter recoat time. Assume same issues.
The re-roll time on Bottom Coat?
Berthed in the Creek. Lots of green growth.
What is "hot coating" a bottom paint?
No, I'm not smuggling US paint across the line...lol.
Thoughts?

• Dries too fast - when applying it, however, if you dare roll over anything painted more than a few minutes ago, it pulls like crazy. The old stuff could be re-rolled with no issues almost right away.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First the good news. Long range weather forecast is encouraging. You may get a dry period 3-5 days with mild temperatures (above the minimum for your desired paint) the week after Easter.

The Product has a nice technical sheet. That tells you the drying time you need to wait until you can Over Coat. They recommend 2 coats. You will need a day maybe, depending on the temps, between coats. If you follow the manufacturers guidance you should not have problems with the paint going on. When it is cold it needs longer time to dry.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I'm coming out on the 8th. Leaning the Petit product now. The CSC's been on since at least 2019 and seems to still be working, excepting the grass growth.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
That tells you the drying time you need to wait until you can Over Coat. They recommend 2 coats.
Along with the lengthy over coat time to consider, the new immersion time caught my attention. The CSC is spec’d at 16 hrs for both 5°C and 10°C where as the CSC - CA is 78 hrs and 15 days. I have used Micron CSC since the boat was new 12 years ago but am now rethinking the next application on the 4th Apr.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Talked to my old yard guy today I gonna' use the Petit Horizon. Talked to the new yard guy too and just for two stinkin' spots bottom keel I'll be out for at least two additional days.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
So here is some info for thought. I found this out whilst visiting my local WM. The producer of Petit Hydrocoat and HD brands ablative bottom paint also produces the WM brand of the two ablative paints, namely the CCP and PCA. CCP and Hydrocoat are supposed to be single season and PCA and HD are supposed to be multiple season. On my boat, the first bottom paint that I applied over the epoxy barrier coat was CCP. Lasted well for two seasons. I then went partners with a friend and we shared three gallons of PCA. After a year my boat was hauled out for a centerboard issue and the bottom was gently power washed. There was little wear after one year. It should last at least two more seasons before it has to be done again. I'm not sure if they closed all WM in Canada. Anyone know?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have been able to use the Petit Trinidad on my boat. First in 2017 and then again in 2024. It is identified as a “hard ablative”. Not sure if approved in Canada. It sure has worked well for me. I went with black this time. Will know in a couple of years if it was a good idea.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
@jssailem, it seems that marine anti fouling paint has undergone a significant change over the last few years in Canada. I have not got into the details yet to determine the whys and the effects. Up until 5 or 10 years ago, the majority of paint that was available in the US was also available to your neighbours to the North. I had Micron CSC applied to my boat every 2 years for the last 12 years. The boat was happy. I was happy. This year nada. Same same for Pettit. Neither the names nor the chemistry are the same. It makes it difficult trying to get product testing results and reviews. We are at the mercy of the product glossy brochures. At least for now.