C320 - Perkins M30 diesel parts

May 9, 2023
Catalina 320 Portland Harbor
Does anyone have a list of maintenance parts for a 1994-ish Perkins M30 diesel engine? I just bought a new-to-me 1994 320 put there is no mention of that sort of thing in the documentation. I can't even find it on line. I expected to find a users manual or something. I need the impeller, oil filter, fuel filter, that sort of thing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Don and congratulations on the new to you boat.
No spare parts to help? Bummer. Not unusual.
Know your challenge. Your boat is 20 years younger than mine. I started in a similar place.
My first step was to identify the engine by location of the serial number stamped on the block. It will give you the data on the engine. You can then start identifying the engine parts at a Perkins distributor. With the part numbers I found the consumables that fit by matching the Perkins # to the other part makers like Sierra, Wix, Baldwin etc.

For the impeller you need the pump manufacturer. Should be imprinted on the pump casing or cover plate. Sherwood, Jabsco, and Oberdorfer are typical names used.

A good flashlight, a pen and notebook, and a camera are your friend.

Here is a UK source that can help with Perkins part numbers.

May 9, 2023
Found this:
Perkins M30 shop manual here, but it is 80 pages long and probably the one you already have. I doubt you'll find a better manual, though the Volvo MD2030 is the same engine, a rebranded ISM 100 series engine, and you might try sourcing one of their manuals.
Thanks for the response. I did download the shop manual but for all the detail it has . . . there are no part numbers! My Westerbeke was an easier quarry that this Perkins and they are still a viable company! Sucks being me I guess. I'll check the others links also. Thanks again.

May 9, 2023
Welcome Don and congratulations on the new to you boat.
No spare parts to help? Bummer. Not unusual.
Know your challenge. Your boat is 20 years younger than mine. I started in a similar place.
My first step was to identify the engine by location of the serial number stamped on the block. It will give you the data on the engine. You can then start identifying the engine parts at a Perkins distributor. With the part numbers I found the consumables that fit by matching the Perkins # to the other part makers like Sierra, Wix, Baldwin etc.

For the impeller you need the pump manufacturer. Should be imprinted on the pump casing or cover plate. Sherwood, Jabsco, and Oberdorfer are typical names used.

A good flashlight, a pen and notebook, and a camera are your friend.

Here is a UK source that can help with Perkins part numbers.
I'll one up you! I have a submersible cable camera that links to my phone, 12' long and good to 30'! $15 buck on Ebay! It has paid off chasing down boat wiring.

May 9, 2023
I'll one up you! I have a submersible cable camera that links to my phone, 12' long and good to 30'! $15 buck on Ebay! It has paid off chasing down boat wiring.
Oh, yeah, when I go to Perkins with the serial number stamped on the engine they tell me it doesn't exist . . . .

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do you have currently on the engine:
  1. An oil filter brand and number
  2. A raw water pump brand & serial #
  3. 1 or 2 fuel filters brand&numbers
  4. A transmission brand & #
These are the usual annual suspects

You’ll want to inspect hoses and air filter, level of coolant, engine and heat exchanger zincs etc.

Are these totally new procedures for you?

Oct 9, 2023
Catalina 320 Tampa
Does anyone have a list of maintenance parts for a 1994-ish Perkins M30 diesel engine? I just bought a new-to-me 1994 320 put there is no mention of that sort of thing in the documentation. I can't even find it on line. I expected to find a users manual or something. I need the impeller, oil filter, fuel filter, that sort of thing.
Hi Don - I have the same issue with my Catalina 320. Did you ever find an online supplier for the O-Ring? Or identify the exact size for the replacement part? Thank you in advance.