Builder's Plaque

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
@Sean K this one's for you!

One great disappointment to me is that the builder's plaque for my boat is missing. I'm guessing a previous owner took it for sentimental reasons. It is a cast bronze plaque that's mounted on the teak of the sliding hatch, I think, and has a blank, rectangular raised part where the build number was engraved.

So you have one, Sean?

If you do, I have a big ask. I'd like you to make an impression of it, in clay or some similar materials, and send it to me so I can have one made for my boat. I will supply the clay material, and whatever else is necessary, and pay all the shipping and incidental expenses, etc.

What say you?

Thanks,

jv

p.s. Tartan hasn't been helpful on this.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Tartan T3800 Waukegan, IL
I’d be glad to do so, if I had one, which I don’t. Have you tried contacting Tartan, they should be Able to help.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
WOW! I still have my plaque on my 1980 37'. I can see why a previous owner might want to keep the plaque but this boat has had 3 previous owners so I will forward the plaque to the next owner if the boat is sailable.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
I have a Baby Stay in place, short and close, and not sure why it's there. There really is no room for a stay-sail or other small sail, and it looks like it will interfere with the Genoa on a tack or gybe. This boat also never had a whisker pole but it does have all the hardware for a Spinnaker, this Baby Stay surely will interfere flying a spinnaker with a pole in place. Do you leave it in place or take it down, mine has almost no tension on it so I'm confused as to why it's there. I'm reluctant to remove something the manufacturer put in place.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
PS: can someone send me a picture of the manufacturer's plaque, thanks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I can't find the pic of the builder's plaque I saw on Yachtworld right now. When I come across it I'll post it here.

I heard back from Tartan and they said they'd supply a Tartan plaque to me in stainless steel with my build number on it. But it's not specific to the T3800, it's generic. The price is $125.

IMG_4859.jpg

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Sorry, I wrote two messages, do you have a Baby Stay on your foredeck?

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Is it a problem with the Genoa when you tack or gybe?
My factory supplied running rigging sheet shows "Babystay Tagline" of 30' length, I'm unfamiliar with both the stay and tagline, and my boat does not have a tagline on it that I can tell, or any line near this babystay. Any idea what and why it may be?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I don't know what the tagline is. The baby stay never interfered with the jib.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
@Sean K this one's for you!

One great disappointment to me is that the builder's plaque for my boat is missing. I'm guessing a previous owner took it for sentimental reasons. It is a cast bronze plaque that's mounted on the teak of the sliding hatch, I think, and has a blank, rectangular raised part where the build number was engraved.

So you have one, Sean?

If you do, I have a big ask. I'd like you to make an impression of it, in clay or some similar materials, and send it to me so I can have one made for my boat. I will supply the clay material, and whatever else is necessary, and pay all the shipping and incidental expenses, etc.

What say you?

Thanks,

jv

p.s. Tartan hasn't been helpful on this.
I once lost the builder's plaque on my Pearson 39 and these guys made me another. Nice work. Might be worth a call.
Bristol Bronze
Address: 222 Riverside Dr, Tiverton, RI 02878
Phone: (401) 624-6623

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
I had a rigging guy replace the port and starboard lines on my Traveller. The way he rigged it the car does not travel to each end of the travel bar, it only goes 3/4 of the way on each side. Since this boat is new to me I don’t know if the replaced line restricted it to this 3/4 travel. I can’t imagine that this is correct, any thoughts?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I had a rigging guy replace the port and starboard lines on my Traveller. The way he rigged it the car does not travel to each end of the travel bar, it only goes 3/4 of the way on each side. Since this boat is new to me I don’t know if the replaced line restricted it to this 3/4 travel. I can’t imagine that this is correct, any thoughts?
I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

• Ha

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
PS: he stated he cut the line to the length indicated in Tartans manual, I can’t confirm this. Why would you only use 3/4 of the travel length.??

Aug 8, 2023
Tartan 3800 Beaufort, NC - Currently
I think you would want to redo that. I find that I need every last inch at times.