Brackets on Pop Top Opening (V25)

Apr 16, 2024
MacGregor Venture 25 Lake Michigan
Hello,
Hoping someone could help me figure out what these 4 brackets around the pop top opening are for. I assumed they were to secure the pop top closed, but I do not see anything on the actual pop top that they would connect to. They do not connect to any of the struts or brackets to raise or lower the cover either. Looking to see if anyone knows their function, if they are factory/stock, and if anyone has a photo of their use.

Boat is a 1976 MacGregor Venture 25. Thanks in advance for any help.

(I circled the bracket in question in red on all photos)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
My '79 V25 has a different kind of bracket, it is like an "s" that catches the bottom edge (where the white edge molding is on yours) and has a hole in the top flange ( would be where yours is if you would flip your riveted bracket 180 degrees). I have long bolts sticking downwards through the pop-top than fit through the bracket hole when the pop-top is down. Wingnuts keep it secured in place. Hope this helps. I will try and get some pictures.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I have similar brackets on my 26S, and they are equipped with J-shaped hooks that have threads and a nut on the straight part of the J. As you have deduced, the purpose is apparently to hold the pop-top tightly shut, I would think primarily for use when trailering. The curved part of the J hooks over the strut and the bolt on the straight part is tightened to hold everything firmly in place. In your first photo I see a mark on the strut that would be consistent with the J hooking over it. These hooks look identical the the reefing hook/gooseneck pin that my S (and your boat?) is equipped with, I'll try to get by the marina today to take a pic.

Apr 16, 2024
MacGregor Venture 25 Lake Michigan
Thanks to the responses, it definitely clears things up for me and confirms they are for holding down the top. I think the "J" hook that loops around the strut makes sense. Now I can stop wondering if they were for some alternate form of raising the top or other accessory!