Boating Tip No. 6,347

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
When you pull into the pump out with a nearly empty holding tank, check to be sure the pump out is actually working before you fill the tank with a hose to give it a good rinse before layup.

This applies even if the pump out was working like gangbusters, stronger than any you can recall using, just a couple days before.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Amen. Pumpouts are probably the hardest system to maintain at a marina.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
3 miles out baby..
Not with the current weather forecast!

The pumpout got the tank low enough, with about an hour of pumping, before it crapped out completely that a couple extra gallons of anti-freeze should keep it safe. The level is down to where the tank taper begins so the slushy ice shouldn't strain it.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Good Morning Roger from sub-zero New Brunswick. It's not cold enough here yet to freeze tanks but that time is quickly approaching.

I have a second option for you regarding the waste tank pumpout, its one that Moose Island Marine, in Eastport uses for emptying customers tanks for winter storage. They bring in the mobile truck from the local porta potti company and they do a number of tanks in one visit. I speak from experience when I say that if you want the tank "Pumped" this is great. They do one waste out pump and one fresh water flush and your good to go. There is one thing that you need to assure and that is that your vent is really clear as the mobile truck really produces a great deal of suction, enough to collapse the tank. Have a great winter and congratulations on your new found love.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You know, my plastic tank has been a semi-filled block of ice numerous times in the past decade (at least) and never a drip from the plastic fitting or hose either. I've been looking for an excuse to change out the tank for a larger one, but the freeze-thaw cycle simply hasn't cooperated in causing any kind of tank failure!

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, like I always say, if all else fails get the siphoning hose. Important tip! Make SURE you have a drink of water or something handy. Remember how ya used to get gas in yer mouth while siphoning gas? Well, it's way worser than that. Maybe a drink of white liquor would be better than water..

Status
Not open for further replies.