Balmar sg200 problem

Mar 25, 2024
Bayliner M15 Saylorville
Note , I couldn't find a electronics section to post this in.
Anyways I bought a Balmer sg200 state of charge monitor and when I go to program the battery banks capacity size , and what type of battery I have nothing shows up in the menu.

I've owned a Balmer sg200 previously and I had no issues and so I know these options to program battery type and capacity should be in the menu somewhere but I can't find it , I don't think it's in there , I already contacted Balmer and they had me try a technique of unplugging and plugging in the power wire and then sent me a new display when the procedure didn't work , the new display doesn't allow me to program in my battery type in either.

Any knowledge on resolving the issue is much appreciated as I've had it for about 5 months now.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
This thread was moved to Ask All Sailors for increased visibility. More members will see it here than in the SSB and Ham Radio forum where it was originally posted.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm perplexed by your problem. I've had he SG200 with the smart shunt for a couple of years and it hasn't been a problem. When it does crash, powering it down by removing the fuse always worked.

Do you have the BlueTooth module? I find it very easy to program the Smartshunt and SG200 with it.

The only thought I have is the data cable, if the wires in the Deutsch plugs are not correct, perhaps this is disabling the menu.

It's a head scratcher.

Mar 25, 2024
Bayliner M15 Saylorville
The manual beginning on page 9 talks about the set up/configuration of the SG200
The manual says to press menu and then choose configuration, when I press my menu button it gives me 2 choices to choose from but no configuration option.
The 2 choices it does give me are
1: Display
2: Advanced

If I choose Display it gives me the choices of
INTENSITY
THEME
PWR SAVE
TEST

If I choose Advanced it gives me the choices of
RESTART DEV
RESET NETWK
FACTORY RST
XECHO
TEST
I've owned a Sg200 in the past but I don't remember exactly how I used to get to the configuration menu but I remember it wasn't really hard to find

Mar 25, 2024
Bayliner M15 Saylorville
Do you have the BlueTooth module?
Nope , I've never had the BlueTooth model in my old system and my current system doesn't have it either.
I like just using the Balmers display but my Old Balmer display always timed out and shut off even when I would go into the settings and choose always on.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have you tried removing power to the SG200. I did it by disconnecting the fuse then reconnecting it. Could also try removing the power cord from the battery. This restarted the SG200. It might allow you to see the config menu.

Mar 25, 2024
Bayliner M15 Saylorville
Can one of you guys that have a SG200 d
Thanks isplay go into the settings and find your way to configuration menu and then come back and tell me how you got there ?

Mar 25, 2024
Bayliner M15 Saylorville
Have you tried removing power to the SG200. I did it by disconnecting the fuse then reconnecting it. Could also try removing the power cord from the battery. This restarted the SG200. It might allow you to see the config menu.
I've done that but I'm going to try it again
Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Can one of you guys that have a SG200 d
Thanks isplay go into the settings and find your way to configuration menu and then come back and tell me how you got there ?
It will be several days before I get to my boat, If I remember I'll give it a try.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Can you upload photos of what your display is showing at various points? It almost sounds to me after viewing the manual that the display isn’t communicating with the rest of your system. Looks like You could try xecho to see what the network status is to your other devices.

Jan 11, 2014
Can you upload photos of what your display is showing at various points? It almost sounds to me after viewing the manual that the display isn’t communicating with the rest of your system. Looks like You could try xecho to see what the network status is to your other devices.
I'm not sure that would work. Balmar uses a proprietary protocol for its devices, smarthsunt, regulator, and SG 200.