Another mast raising question

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey all.

my usual mast raising option is to connect the forestay to the mainsheet block (other end of block to the bow). I stand on cabin roof and lift as she’s pulling it up. Of course she’s doing 90% of the lifting, probably more. My role is more steadying.

Here’s the question:

I’ve noticed when other people describe a similar process they usually talk about lifting via the spinnaker halyard or topping lift or something other than the forestay. Would you be concerned about the stress on the forestay?

I‘m not an engineer and I would have no idea how you’d measure such a thing, but I’d bet a reasonably brisk sail puts more stress on the forestay that that lifting motion.

I like using the forestay among other reasons because we have a system down - systems can be modified pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
I would expect the forestay is plenty strong. The reason I don't use the forestay when mast raising is once the mast is raised the forestay can be attached to the boat while the mast is still being held in position by the mast raising system. If the mast isn't too heavy then it's not likely a problem and either is fine.