Alden 44 - 1984 Windlass Model Number

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
All,

My 1984 Alden 44 Windlass gave out on my last week. The make is Nilsson, which I know was purchased by Maxwell, and subsequently split again. The question I have for this group is - does anyone know the model of the original install? I believe it was the V 1000. V means vertical I assume. I'm looking for a drop in replacement - or at least as close to one as I can find. I would rather not drill more holes in the deck if I can avoid.

Thank you!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What's wrong with it? It can probably be repaired.

I had a Maxwell-Nilsson vertical capstan windlass on my Catalina 36 which I loved! I don't M-N to be extremely helpful when I need to repair it.

You might also look here:

Early Nilsson Winches

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
What's wrong with it? It can probably be repaired.

I had a Maxwell-Nilsson vertical capstan windlass on my Catalina 36 which I loved! I don't M-N to be extremely helpful when I need to repair it.

You might also look here:

Early Nilsson Winches
jviss - thanks for the reply. The motor is shot. I hooked a battery directly to the motor to see if I could get it to turn and not only did it not turn, the motor got very hot very quickly. Dangerously hot.

I think I could see about getting it rebuilt. However, the motor is 39 years old. Seems like something worth replacing at this point. Thanks for the link - I've seen it before and that's what I'm basing my assumption that it is a V1000 model. It looks very similar to that picture.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
jviss - thanks for the reply. The motor is shot. I hooked a battery directly to the motor to see if I could get it to turn and not only did it not turn, the motor got very hot very quickly. Dangerously hot.

I think I could see about getting it rebuilt. However, the motor is 39 years old. Seems like something worth replacing at this point. Thanks for the link - I've seen it before and that's what I'm basing my assumption that it is a V1000 model. It looks very similar to that picture.
Oh, man, I would have the motor rebuilt! I know it's tough to find a rebuilder these days, many have retired - including my favorite in Hudson, MA. But there are a couple in my new town of New Bedford, MA, as we have the busiest commercial fishing harbor on North America. Where are you located?

I could be as simple as brushes, the armature, etc.

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
I'm in Philadelphia. The reason I'm contemplating a new one is - is this just the tip of the iceberg? Will the gears be next ? It is such an important piece of equipment. I want some peace of mind. Am I overthinking?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm in Philadelphia. The reason I'm contemplating a new one is - is this just the tip of the iceberg? Will the gears be next ? It is such an important piece of equipment. I want some peace of mind. Am I overthinking?
I get it, believe me. On mine, the gears were in a bath of gear oil, like SAE90, and you didn't even really have to change it, as metal would fall to the bottom. You can indeed do a good physical examination of it, disassemble it, and check for wear, check the bearings, etc. These things should last 100 years. I also made sure to grease the bearing where the shaft exited, it had a Zerk fitting. If there's no appreciable wear, the seals are good, etc., I would rebuild/repair the motor. But that's me. :)

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
Philly should have motor rebuilders.
you may be convincing me here :) -- Would you recommend taking the entire windlass off and taking to the repair shop? Or remove the motor and take it by itself?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
you may be convincing me here :) -- Would you recommend taking the entire windlass off and taking to the repair shop? Or remove the motor and take it by itself?
Just the motor. Deal with the rest on your own. Just my view. Are you sure it's the motor that failed? You said it got hot. Was it just heating up, or perhaps bound up mechanically?

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
Just the motor. Deal with the rest on your own. Just my view. Are you sure it's the motor that failed? You said it got hot. Was it just heating up, or perhaps bound up mechanically?
Hard to know for you. I bypassed all the potential failure points (foot switch, solenoid, wiring) and wired the battery directly to the motor. I was getting a full 12.6 volts directly to the motor and no movement/sound at all from the motor. It was VERY hot to the touch. I am assuming that means the motor. If the spindle was seized I would expect at least a minimal amount of noise coming from the motor. It also worked as recently as last season.

You've inspired me to try a rebuild. I found this local company (Alternator, Carburetor, Starter & DC Motor Rebuilds, Repair, Supply | PCI Rebuilders) who seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I will go to the boat this weekend and try to remove the motor. Was it pretty straight forward to do?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Hard to know for you. I bypassed all the potential failure points (foot switch, solenoid, wiring) and wired the battery directly to the motor. I was getting a full 12.6 volts directly to the motor and no movement/sound at all from the motor. It was VERY hot to the touch. I am assuming that means the motor. If the spindle was seized I would expect at least a minimal amount of noise coming from the motor. It also worked as recently as last season.

You've inspired me to try a rebuild. I found this local company (Alternator, Carburetor, Starter & DC Motor Rebuilds, Repair, Supply | PCI Rebuilders) who seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I will go to the boat this weekend and try to remove the motor. Was it pretty straight forward to do?
It was easy on mine. I left the deck plate on and stuck a champagne cork in it. :)

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
Update for the thread. I was able to remove the windlass this weekend. I had to remove both the gearbox and the motor. this was due to the way the motor is attached the gearbox. There is a bolt atop the gearbox which secures the motor in place. This bolt is between the gearbox and the deck and cannot be accessed while mounted.

I am taking both the gearbox and motor to a small started/alternator rebuilder here in Philadelphia. The model is a V1000 and the motor is a Lucas Starter motor modified by Nilsson