Acrylic portlight question

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
Hey friends, I removed the porlights on the 1980 Cat 27 anD I want to replace with cast acrylic window.
I’ve gathered a lot info online but nothing specific to the curved shape of the CataLina 27. The surface isn’t flat so the acrylic would have to bend, which could be done, but also stay “glued”.
Anyone has experience with the process?
Thx!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Forgot to mention, 4200/5200 are not compatible with Acrylic. One material will eat away at the other just enough to create a leak over time... at least so I've read

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here is the straight poop on the VHB. If you can easily hold the plexi in place to keep it curved, the tape alone probably will hold it after it has cured for a day. I was advised to use their primer on the cabin side as well as on the plexi. My plexi is slightly curved and it was no problem to get it bonded. It is critical to get a good force on the bond area immediately at installation.. I used a wallpaper seam roller. If nervous, you can use a couple of screws fore and aft to hold it until it fully cures (72 hours). Then remove the screws and plug with Dow 795..
3m-vhb-tapes.pdf

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
XAVPIL, I used 3M #94 primer, available from Amazon and some other places. I didn't know how much I'd need so I bought a pint .. It only took about 4 ounces for the job. I bought the 3/8 plexi from a local plastics supply here in Baton Rouge. they cut it to size. When I did my hatch lenses, I bought the plexi from Tap Plastics in Stockton, Ca. They cut it and radiused the corners exactly to my measurements.
IMG_0492.JPG

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
XAVPIL, I used 3M #94 primer, available from Amazon and some other places. I didn't know how much I'd need so I bought a pint .. It only took about 4 ounces for the job. I bought the 3/8 plexi from a local plastics supply here in Baton Rouge. they cut it to size. When I did my hatch lenses, I bought the plexi from Tap Plastics in Stockton, Ca. They cut it and radiused the corners exactly to my measurements.
View attachment 215479

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
3M #94 primer 3/8 plexi from a local plastics supply here in Baton Rouge. they cut it to size. When I did my hatch lenses, I bought the plexi from Tap Plastics in Stockton, Ca. They cut it and radiused the corners exactly to my measure
priceless !!!! thx

May 9, 2023
Catalina 320 Portland Harbor
Dudes!
Plexi (aka polycarbonate) is a great fit for many locations, but acrylic is harder for any place that might take a blow. Either can be mounted with 3M VHB tape ($^&^%% amazing product) and sealed with DOW 795 for amazing results. (Same combo that keeps skyscraper windows in place). Google instructions. It is an amazing combination of technologies.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Plexi (aka polycarbonate) is a great fit for many locations, but acrylic is harder for any place that might take a blow.
I think we were talking about Acrylic, cast acrylic in fact.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Another endorsement for DC 795 (sometimes labeled Dowsil) when you buy it check the 'best before 'date. Limited shelf life

Although I used screws (pre existing windows were screwed on) you can see it managed curvature and twist... sealed with DC 795

Attachments

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Another endorsement for DC 795 (sometimes labeled Dowsil) when you buy it check the 'best before 'date. Limited shelf life

Although I used screws (pre existing windows were screwed on) you can see it managed curvature and twist... sealed with DC 795
it looks GREAT!!!!!