22 bilge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Lenoble

Hello, I am going over my new (to me) 1981 C22. So far so good. Tonight I installed the battery and checked the lights. They all seem to work. Next up was to check the bilge pump. I pressed the switch. Nothing. I assume I should at least hear something or feel something. Nothing. This leads me to think that my bilge pump is not operating. A few questions: 1. Where is the bilge pump located? If there is no standard location, where are the common ones? 2. Where do the bilge pump pump the water? I can see the cockpit and galley sink drains. I don't see any other hoses in the hull area. 3. Should I hear the pump operate when the switch is on? 4. Is there a manual bilge pump? 5. Anything else? Thanks, Barry Lenoble

B

Bayard Gross

Here we go again

C-22's should not have bilge pumps. If they are required, then the problem of water in the boat is incorrectly addressed. You must attack water entry at its source, not its consequence with a bilge pump. Sea can come in from the lock down bolt, the tube where the cable enters the boat, and through sea cocks. All these items should be checked and repaired as necessary. Sometimes the lock down bolt only needs some good marine grade grease placed onto the threads to eliminate water seepage. If rain water is getting in you must rebed those items where it is entering. Everything from stanction bases, handrails, cleats, lights, mast steps, chain plates, etc., etc.. C-22's do not have bilges per se and with outboards as opposed to inboards with stuffing boxes, there should not be anyway for water to get in. I have seen pictures of C-22's with bilge pumps which in my opinion are there only as an emergency device which too easily belies serious problems. Bilge pumps in a C-22 are a poor substitute for preventive maintenance.

J

john renfro

bilge

hello barry. my 22 electric panel has a switch marked "bilge pump", it is a generic panel there is no pump in the boat.although you may have a pump, you probably do not. there is not much hidden space in a 22, so if you haven't found it, stop looking. john

B

Barry Lenoble

Thanks, one more question

Hello, The 'bilge' of my boat is bone dry. I would expect it to be so, since it has been on a trailer since last season. I hope to get it in the water tomorrow, so I want to prevent any problems from occuring. 22's don't have a bilge pump, that's good, because mine does not. Should I get a manual pump for emergencies? Thanks, Barry

H

Herb

yes get a pump

Hi Barry I use my pump when the cockpit drains get plugged which happens every time we go camping and everyone is coming into the boat from tender on the beach. It takes a couple of days before all the sand ect, washes through the drains. I have the bilge pump to clean out the cockpit on thoses days when it pours and it does pour here and the drains are plugged. I also keep the bilge pump for the troubled time you never know when it will strike. Hope you buy one and never use it except to test it. Herb S/V Daydream

K

ken

I agree with Bayard!

I agree with Bayard.......... you don't need a bilge pump on a 22' boat. Herb suggests you get one in case your cockpit drains get clogged (entirely possible)............. if that is a concern ...... email me off list and I will email you back a very simple solution to that problem. Good luck! kennybc22@yahoo.com

A

Aldo

Bayard

Bayard: I certainly agree with you about an electrical bilge pump, but you have to be careful what you write here on this subject. I once wrote a similar response to yours several years ago, and later read that someone left there boat unattended for over a month in the fall, and the cockpit filled with leaves, clogging the cockpit drains, and water poured over the hatchway step, nearly sinking the boat, if I remember correctly. I know that you and I care for our boats very carefully, but not everyone does. I have seen some Catalina 22s that if they were given to me for free, I wouldn't think I was getting a good deal. I currently have a small leak near the battery compartment, (about a half cup per week, sometimes). I haven't isolated it yet, but I am working on it. So now I am very careful what I write on the subject of bilge pumps in this forum. Aldo Barry. You should have a manual bilge pump. I have the kind that looks like a bicycle pump, that pumps on the up stroke. I never used it on the boat, but one time I used it around the house and found that the rubber valve actually had died from old age. I replaced it with one that I made from urethane sheet, which should last forever. Aldo

D

DesetBoatman

Trailer or slip

I keep my 22 dry stored and just have a manual pump. The boat has no thru-hulls and I see no need for an electric pump. If I kept it in a slip I probably would have one. One rule in the dry store lot is you have to disconect your battery, so no need for one on the trailer. DB C22#6260 Lake Pleasant, Az.

K

ken

aldo

Aldo............. Your post illustrates why everyone with a C22 should have transom drains. Cost less than $10 and no worry about the cockpit filling with water. I still don't think you need a bilge pump on a 22' boat. Just my humble 2 cents worth! kennybc22@yahoo.com

J

Joe

Please, get a manual bilge pump....

...just for unexpected emergencies. Aldo, thanks for straightening out Bayard's quite irresponsible comment..

Status
Not open for further replies.