2004 Hunter 41 Bilge Water on the hard

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Anyone have significant water in the bildge - boat is on the hard with a winter cover. been raining here alot - I had the mast down last year and am wondering if this coudl the the source of the problem - seems like too much due to condensation

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Masts are a major source of leaks in the winter. All the openings combined with wind driven rain results in water in the bilge. A garboard drain plug gives the water a route out of the bilge.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Masts are a major source of leaks in the winter. All the openings combined with wind driven rain results in water in the bilge. A garboard drain plug gives the water a route out of the bilge.
:plus:I finally had a garboard plug installed a couple of years ago. Now I have piece of mind while the boat's on the hard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I suspect you have a leak from your winter cover.

Winter covers can sag, creating low spots above the deck. Water seeps through and then you have the makings of a leak into the boat. You should be able to stand in the boat durning a rain storm and track the incoming water found in your bilge. Spring would be a good time to patch that. If rain water can come in, you could get water intrusion as you go pounding through the chop on that long upwind tack, with waves coming over the bow.