2004 Catalina 320

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
Does anybody know if this boat automatically charges while on shore power? I assume that it has screw plugs which means I should fill it with distilled water if needed?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Does anybody know if this boat automatically charges while on shore power?
probably. One simply way to be sure is to monitor the voltage at the batteries once you plug in. Another way is to look at the charger. Most have “idiot” lights.

I assume that it has screw plugs which means I should fill it with distilled water if needed?
Presuming you mean battery caps, yes. Don’t overfill.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
If the white breaker on left of panel labeled charger/inverter is on, and it's plugged into shorepower shown by green light also on left then yes unless some major muck-up. There's a voltmeter on the right of panel that reads1708396710659.png the battery voltage. To find charger stick your head into the port lazarette in cockpit and look forward, it's got lights and adjustments for type of batteries and temperature. To find batteries look under the starboard settee in the cabin.
1708396710659.png

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In 20 years previous owners may have done any number of things with the boat’s electrical system. Checking the battery voltage when plugged in versus disconnected will at least tell you if there’s a working charger. But you’ll want to start looking around and tracking wires to understand what you have and how it connects in case you run into problems.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The big picture long term:

Either you find and engage a good all-around boat electrician/mechanic. Then you ask him to resolve issues with your boat systems for you. If your boat is docked in a yard with a good service operation (as ours is) this is pretty simple but would have an expense to pay for the expert's time.

Or, you embark on an effort to learn about each of the systems on your boat. Manuals and some time to trace actual runs of electricity, water, signals, engine power, sail power, steering, and other systems are a good start. In any case, we are happy to answer any and all questions you have. The answers you have to this question are already quite good. (Brief summary: Calif, Ted gave you the standard answer, and Davidasailor26 reminded you that prior owners may have modified your system.) The added value of this approach is that you will know what to do, or how to find out what to do if something happens while you are under way, or anchored/docked somewhere without a good service operation.

In fact, most of us do some of both. Although we may have learned a lot about our boats, we still need to take out the manuals or documentation, check in here, or talk to a local expert to solve our problems. And, if you accompany a local expert as he solves problems, your knowledge will grow and you will be less dependent on him. So the first solution will migrate toward the second over time.

I did meet a fun captain in his 80's at the Erie Yacht Club who just knew how to operate his sailboat on the Erie bay, and relied totally on the club service crew for any maintenance questions. On the other hand, when I was in the Navy, I was not qualified to "drive" our submarine tender at sea (as Officer of the Deck) until I understood all of its systems, and the teams that operated and serviced them. Most of us end up enjoying learning more about how our boats work, regardless of how thoroughly we approach the learning process.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hi Ted,

Is your boat on stands right now or are you able to keep it in the water? If your boat has been winterized, the batteries may also be disconnected. You should do a compressive search of all the components and learn as much as you can about the charging system. There is also a master AC switch in the port locker underneath the rear corner seat. At least there is on my boat. That switch will also need to be on to get power at the panel. How many batteries do you have? There should also be an echo-charger or some other relay that allows the charger to charge 2 banks of batteries. My boat had an echo charger that was mounted under the seat cushions where the batteries are located. Good luck and let us know how it goes!