1985 Hunter 40 WINS Swifter..Cape Flattery Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Re

I ...with an outstandinh crew of 11 ..Just won the Swiftsure ..Cape Flattery Race!! Huners are one of the fastest cruising boats out there ..(with the right crew and sails) My boat named RE-TREAT came in First in Divission ...First in Class and FIRST OVERALL !!! Anyone out there familiar with this RACE. It is one of the top US ragattas ..and the biggerst in the Nortwest US. Over 196 boats competed and aprox 40 completed there race.(over 100 Nautical Miles) NOW GET this .. The race committee and local news papers only talked of pther EXPENSIVE boats and the WINNER ..MY HUNTER 40 did not get a "That a boy". WHAT THE ...is that !?

P

Peter Milne

Congradulations

For sure the Swiftsure is a serious race, in serious waters, for serious boaters! I wouldn't be too sensitive about the lack of fuss. The Around Saltspring Island Race a week earlier only posted the dry results with no kudos to the winners. Someone (Phil?) should keep a list of races won by Hunters. I expect it would soon be impressive. Peter Milne S/V Blue Heron

L

Les Blackwell

Congratulations--I am green with envy.

What a win! I am green with envy as I have tried to do that race a number of times with different boats. I never tried my Hunter 40 (Legend) but I knew it was fast. OK, now, win it several times in a row and they will have to pay attention to you. I felt the same way when I won second in the Straits of Georgia race (in class) one year. But this is great. You should be not only proud of your crew but happy beyond words. I salute you, Captain. Nice going. Oh, yes, Atta boy! I'm even proud of your.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Swiftsure Race Site

Congratulations Tony - that was a real accomplishment in the premier race in the Northwest. In checking the final race results there are firsts for each of the Classes and the Cape Flattery Class 4 (PHRF Heavy) is the one you were in which is different from the "Classic" Lightship race course, Class 1, that the ULDBs take. All the press pretty much covers the Classic race as this is the one with all the expensive boats with the minus ratings, and of course anything where there is an accident or something. The shorter race courses just don't get the press of the Classic. The local paper had an article about the recent Block Island race where there was someone missing (buried in the back pages with baseball stats) but didn't even cover the Swiftsure! This year to even finish was an accomplishment. Congratulations. Overview of race with course map: http://swiftsure.org/2002.php?content=race/overview.php

C

Craig Young

Congratulations ! ! !

I've always wanted to race in that regatta but with my little 31 I don't think I'd have much of a chance. I know what you mean though about No Press, No nothing except Who are you and what are you doing here. Keep up the GoodWork and be nice to your CREW. Craig "Faithful Girl"

L

Les Blackwell

Tell us a litte about the race, could you?

Hi Tony, Could you tell us a little about the race? What sort of winds did you have? What was your race strategry? How did you set your crew up (How come so many?), Who was your chief competitor? Things like that. We'd like to relieve the race with you. Thanks much.

T

Tony Re

Thanks Peter

I ..and crew ..Won 6 First places, # of 4 series, The Kluney Trophy, (local trofy for best record of the year), and South Sound First Place Overall Season Championship ..ALL This Year!! I know other Hunters doing an impressive job also ..At 35.5 and the 31 Hunter. Now catch this I called Hunter ..Left a message ..and said I was interested in the Hunter 50. (we me Donald G. ..doing the Around the world Alone Race in an OPEN 50) It apears to be similar to the Hunter 50. It has water ballest , simalar B7R rig ..swept back spreders etc. It has been Two weeks ..AND a SAILS person or anyone from HUNTER has not called back to return my call. ..I know there are 3 Hunter 50's for sail!

T

Tony Re

Les Blackwell ..Thanks

Keep up your racing ..I will be in the Straits og Georgia Race 2003. I was preparing the boat for Vic Maui this year and did not have the boat ready ..and skipped it this year. I did not complete the required STUFF to do the Vic-Maui this year but will continue with the plan for the next one. Oh ..What is you PHRF ..I am a 108 ..Is this in your divission ..? I have done NUMEROUS changes to my HUNTER 40, including prop, 7 new NORTH SAILS including Kevlar #1 and new Main, New winches, Downhall and topping set up, blocks, spinnakar set up ..jump halyards on mast ..new heavy Vang .. Are you depressed yet ..$$$$$$ Get out you wallet. Hunter as you know ..there stock boats are under equiped, under sail sized and the winches are undersized ..and NOT SET UP FOR RACING ..unless that's how you ordered your boat. Sails costme over $30,000 ..Winches ..I'm depressed .. Good Luck Racing ..See you next year! Tony Re "Re-Treat"

T

Tony Re

John Nantz ..Check Race Site again ..

John, I was listed as PHRF Heavy ..that is the CLASS. I won First in Divission ..First in Cass ..AND FIRST OVERALL..includes the light placement bouts also ..17 J-boats ..4 of the J120's, aprox 12 C&C's..a dozen Ben., a half dozen Shock 35's..etc. ALSO the ULDB's did the Cape Flattery ..not the Swiftsure ..Neptunes Car .a 72 Sata Cruise, the infamous OPEN 50 ..a boat similar to the Hunter 50 .going around the World Alone race ..Marty's Santa Cruise 52"Marty Gra and I believe ..another. All retired at the Mark ..KIND of SUSPICIOUS. There race ended there ,...AND why would you retire if ONE boat continued??? They must have comunicated ..AGAINST THE RULES! The race site states" The FLATTERY is now the most popular" drawing the ULDB's. Anyway ..I am having a blast ..Hope I get up your way and do some Seattle races tis year. Tony

T

Tony Re

Craig .."Faithful Girl"

Do not underestimate you 31 Hunter. There are a couple of racing 31's down in the South Sound. Your PHRF is High .I believe around a 189 without Spinnaker and Hunter Stock equipment. My stock rating was a 141 ..NOW a 108 since I made NUMEROUS improvements ..Not that a cruising boat needs to do these ..Hunters are sold as crusers not RACERS ..But if you want to win the BIG ones .GET OUT YOUR WALLET. As for who am I ..was transferred to the North West 12 years ago ..left that Company and love it here because you can sail .Race all year round. I am from New York and I am First Vice Pres. of Morgan Stanley in Olympia Washington..(.4 children, my 17 year old son is on my crew as is my wife for all races excpt The Cape Flattery) My Crew consists of 6 skippers of large boats that Race all year ..One Whitbread contender ..a Helmsmean that won The Swiftsure Lighthouse twice, and a Vic-Maui 2nd place finisherr in 1998, three 17 year old sons of crew, and TWO STONG Primary Grunts. All have a ZILLION years of racing expierience. 11 crew in total .two shifts)THIS IS THE REAL STORY of the Race. We were "Loaded with ringers whos intention was to WIN and they said they coul do it on my HUNTER! I thank the crew DAILY!

T

Tony Re

The True Story of Swiftsure's Cape Flattery Race

Les. First of all please be advised I equipped the boat to RACE. $$$$$$$$ and Noth Sails Second we race all year. Third ..The crew is VERY expierienced ..see other posts .Whitbred contender, Winner of Straits of Georgia, 2nd Viv-Maui, 6 skippers, etc. Our Boat has won 6 other races this year plus 3 of 4 Series and The SouthSound Championship.and more smaller KUDO's. Now because of the above ..WE knew we were a contender ..others probably did not Know that. The tides and currents ..and lack of wind the first half of the race were JUST AS WE EXPEXTED. We had current charts etc and folloed them to a tee. We anchored twice, once in 225 feet of water , 600 feet of rode. Other boats did not make the effort. We never lost helm .had wind even if light the whole race.(took hours to cross the start ..but we sai "nothing we did not expect so we were not depressed aone bit) I had 11 crew ..two teams of 5. Shifts of 4hrs durring the day , 3 hour shifts at night. I floated an navigated by GPS ..three of them ..Monitered the VHF and plotted each boats movment to see where boats were moving to the mark (VMG) and sailed to those grids and avoided where boats called in and they did not move much from the last possition reported. We heard numerous weather conditions from Voluntier boats as well as The Swiftsure Lighthouse contenders.(this may be a rule violation ..but when I heard 5..8 knts grid 60 .Where do you think I am going? It sur wasn't the American Side! My crew KNEW we were going to win. Nordic Sun beat us to the mark ..but went to close to the American side on the return .So we picked up 3 hours. (Next time they will listen to the VHF. Because of the currents and wind on the return ..we stayed on the run line ..a little toward CA. Then a break happend .The wind picked up ..going about 7.5 KNTS and OPUS passed us on port ..This was the break ..the were going 9 10 knts. We got on their wake and surffed with them for a FREE TOW! Little did they know they contributed to our victory for we won by only 3min and 37 sec. I have this all on video .from start to finish ..one boat losing the shoot to Renegade and Rage passing us on the way back. My crew did it! The Knew and did not want me to get my hopes up ..and said we will win first in divission ..but they KNEW!! I will be back! Tony The "Re-Treat"

Status
Not open for further replies.