10 knots or greater I get beat bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

During the local club races if the wind is less than 10 knots I am competitive. The less wind the better I can perform. The greater the wind the less I am able to point with the other boats. At 12 knots or greater they are out pointing me by 20 degrees. I have found even in light air, with the genny car pulled back so that I am splitting the angle of the clew with the sheet I point better but am spilling air out of the top 25% of the sail. All answers and suggestions will be appreciated. Charlie

A

Alan

Something isn't right

As the wind speed drops it pays to foot off for better boat speed. If you can hold speed and height with the other boats in lite wind then you are doing something wrong as the wind builds. Your boat will point higher as the wind increases. Of course their are other boats that can outpoint you but NOT 20 degrees. To set the genoa lead cars, slowly come up into the wind as you trim in and watch the telltales. They should all break together. If they start to break from the top first, move the cars forward. As the wind gets really strong you will want to have the top of the jib spill the air by moving the cars back. At the same time you will need to lower the main traveller a small amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.