Another boat fire.....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
This morning in Quincy, MA there were two quick explosions and then full blown fire after a boat owner tried to start his engines. A couple of liveaboards narrowly escaped the inferno!

For those who DIY or hire unqualified techs please follow the codes for electrical, gasoline, diesel and LP gas. If your boat has gasoline or propane be sure all devices, components, fuses, alternator etc., etc. are IP (ignition protection) rated. Far too many boats have these corners cut and then things like this can happen. I feel bad for the folks who's boats were lost to this...

Explosion Sparks Raging Fire

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Gasoline powered boats should be segregated...next to the fire hydrant. Oldest boats closest.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Gasoline powered boats should be segregated...next to the fire hydrant. Oldest boats closest.
Of course that would have to include sailboats with A4 engines or outboards...also boats that have alcohol and propane stoves--all of which are mostly sailboats. And it also assumes that NO owners of boats so equipped are stupid enough to do--or fail to do--anything that could start a fire.

Now go to your room and stay there till you realize how ridiculous your statement was!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Looks like those Hollywood spy movies where the target starts the engine and KABOOM!!!...

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Had a galley fire on board a chartered sailboat I was captaining a few years back. Thankfully customers were on the foredeck lounging while two of us were trying to control this now getting out of control fire. Went through two extinguishers and a lot of water before putting this out. Don't think they even knew what was transpiring below decks although there was massive amounts of smoke coming through the hatches. Most scared I've ever been in a lifetime of sailing.
Roland
s/v Fraulein II

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that everything you listed had nothing to do with the fire. Could be something as simple as forgetting to turn the blower on. But more likely a bad fuel line as a result of Ethanol in the gas, which has nothing to do with any codes. It is notorious for eating fuel lines and catching boats on fire. Trust me, all the DIYers know about it, because those are the guys who spend time on the forums. Its the boat repair shops that I worry about.

BTY, one of my favorite video is the YouTube video that shows a power boat fire being put out by a jet boat. Where was this guy when you needed him?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And why exactly would the boat repair shops not know about it, yet the DIYers would??? you don't have to read a forum to learn these things if you work on them every day.

Love the jet boat fire suppressor. I live near the Rogue River, where we have jet boat white water excursions every day in the summer months. there are always multiple boats on the water at the same time, so one of the games they once played to get everyone wet was to use the jet to have boat fights with passing boats. these are 50 passenger jet boats with dual BBC power. they put out a LOT of water ;) . well…. one day the aggressor got a little too close and blew out the opponents windshield, injuring a passenger. no more boat fights after that :( . they do still find ways to get you wet however :)

Russ

I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that everything you listed had nothing to do with the fire. Could be something as simple as forgetting to turn the blower on. But more likely a bad fuel line as a result of Ethanol in the gas, which has nothing to do with any codes. It is notorious for eating fuel lines and catching boats on fire. Trust me, all the DIYers know about it, because those are the guys who spend time on the forums. Its the boat repair shops that I worry about.

BTY, one of my favorite video is the YouTube video that shows a power boat fire being put out by a jet boat. Where was this guy when you needed him?

Feb 6, 1998
I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that everything you listed had nothing to do with the fire. Could be something as simple as forgetting to turn the blower on.
While anything is possible incorrect work, using incorrect products or unsafe installations & not following code are usually the cause of boat fires. That was my only point, not to guess the actual cause...

But more likely a bad fuel line as a result of Ethanol in the gas, which has nothing to do with any codes. It is notorious for eating fuel lines and catching boats on fire.
A leaking fuel line does not catch a boat on fire unless something is there to ignite it. Any good gasoline boat installation would also have a gas leak detection system that is compliant with ABYC A-14. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen an owner of a gas boat install such a system. On a gas boat everything should be IP rated to avoid spark yet I see non IP alternators, starters, over current protection, switches, battery chargers etc. etc. etc. installed inches from a gas system. Fuel lines should also be ABYC / USCG / SAE J1527 compliant & preferably A1-15 rated.. A1 or the newer A1-15 are extremely rare in my experience when fuel hoses have been replaced by boat owners. I have yet to see any A1 or A1-15 compliant marine fuel hose get voided by gasoline / ethanol it is usually 20+ year old fuel lines that do not meet or even come close to today's standards.

Trust me, all the DIYers know about it, because those are the guys who spend time on the forums. Its the boat repair shops that I worry about.
I really do wish that were the case but I am aboard hundreds of vessels per year and it is absolutely not what I see. Compliance with gasoline, electrical, LP, seacocks & diesel fuel systems are rarely complied with, and it is downright scary. Any good boat repair shop will have an ABYC logo on the door or highly visible. Ask to see the ABYC certificates of the guy working on your boat. He has been trained to do stuff to the standard which will be far safer than guessing at what the standard may or may not be..

Bottom line is a boat with SAFE SYSTEMS should never have blown up.

#1 If gas or vapors had leaked the gas detection system would have alerted the owner to it.
#2 If the proper marine hose had been used, it does not rot through from ethanol.
#3 If the boat was properly wired, used proper IP rated equipment there would be NO SOURCE OF SPARK....

Every boat fire I have been involved with has been due to non compliant installations of either electrical, LP, or gasoline systems....

Feb 6, 1998
When you consider that AC & DC electrical systems represent 55% of all boat fires with 30% of the 55% from AC or DC shorts and 11% from shore power connections you quickly realize that gasoline power boat fires barely even rate in comparison to electrical fires...

I suspect any argument of segregation of might want to start with boats not in electrical compliance and boats that use yellow "twist-lock" shore cords...:biggrin:

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I wouldn't be too smug about diesel boats. Here are a few photos of a real diesel boat that had no trouble blowing out a 2 ton muffler and igniting the stack as well as most of the engine room. My own boat has the battery switch mounted in the engine compartment forcing me to open the companionway stairs and sticking my head in to see it. The schnoz detector is in full alert mode that way before any power is applied to anything. The boat in question was mil spec.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2015
AMF/Alcort Minifish Lake Belton
Middle of the summer, a friend and I were fishing and saw a smoke plume... turned out to be a bass boat that was burning.
5 faster boats got there first and had the boat owner off and the flaming wreck beached in a safe place before we got there. (Boaters are good at helping each other around here at least)

My 25 yr old boat went in for new fuel lines that week.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So far this season on the middle bay we're 50:50 on big news boat fires; gasoline explosion: electric short. The electric shorts were unattended and resulted in no injuries. The gasoline fires all resulted in injuries because someone was aboard to ignite a tub full of explosive gasoline vapor. The electric fires were liveaboards in violation of their dock agreements. The gasoline fires were people out using their boats for the purpose they were built for. People didn't just get burned, they got thrown some considerable distance from the point of ignition. No margin for disasterous error with an inboard gasoline auxilliary. And there are more and more aging gas powered boats in the hands of owners who can't, or don't properly operate or maintain them.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
And there are more and more aging gas powered boats in the hands of owners who can't, or don't properly operate or maintain them.
I think you nailed it right there Gunni. I do believe gasoline powered boat fires are still a rarity considering the huge numbers of boats built with them. Diesel is still a rarity on a percentage basis when we consider all the various watercraft operating. I think we will see that as the age of the diesel fleet increases the instances of fires through sooting of exhaust systems and fires related to injector lines suffering failure due to metal fatigue will increase. It does come down to proper maintenance of all systems and a healthy respect for the fuel that provides the energy. Each fuel has disadvantages since the purpose is combustion. My own boat is equipped with the latest greatest A1-15 fuel hoses (Thanks SBO Store) new tank and electric fuel pump. A conscientious owner/operator is always the best fire protection system available.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is another thing wrong with THAT marina....

Slip spacing!

It looks like you can step onto your neighbors boat in picture 2. At minimum smell his errrr uhhhh supper cooking.
Without good spacing, fire control, even if it a galley fire with bacon grease (not very inflammable) is a joke.

At my marina, new arrivals are put into an area of "isolation" until the Marina Captain casually does a "welcome" inspection. New boats can have many deficiencies that are hazardous to others. Did you ever notice where "Transient berths" are located in a well run marina?
Jim...

IAMCCF

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 28 Quincy Yacht Club
Hi All,

That fire happened in my marina, Captain Cove in Quincy MA. The owner of the boat where the fire started has been in boating for 20 years. He had the engines running when the first explosion when off. He was on the dock and his wife was below in the cabin when the smoke started and they both got out in the nick of time.

The boats in the first picture had boats behind them fully engulfed. My boat was behind these on the same fairway and was bathed in smoke and soot (burned chips of fiberglass) though the whole event due to to the wind. In all 10 boats caught fire, 4 sank. We were lucky some liveaboards on our dock kept running from boat to boat keeping our boats wet while the fire department focused on the fire. The fire department/police would not get us down to the docks to get our boats out of harms way. We had to sit and watch boat by boat go up in flames. Hoping the wind would die down and no more explosions would occur.

The marina has several liveaboards. The couple living next to where the fire started bought their boat in Aug. They put everything they had into it. After the insurance pays off the loan they will get $500.00. That's it. The contents, all their belongings gone up in flames and no coverage.

I just have soot covering my deck and canvas. I and those on my dock were lucky. It was a scary 2 hours for us all.

Chris

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I suspect any argument of segregation of might want to start with boats not in electrical compliance and boats that use yellow "twist-lock" shore cords...:biggrin:
Please explain the problem with yellow "twist-lock" shore cords. What should be used instead?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
two fires at our local waters were each caused by deteriorated gasoline lines. in the 1st, a deteriorated line allowed gas to drip into the bilge. the boat blow up after the owner started it after a refueling. fortunately the owner was just blown into the water; he survived. the second was an explosion at Erie Yacht Club due to gas fumes exploding. that killed 2 people. so if you a re owner of an older boat --or dock next to one-- encourage owners to check the integrity of the gas lines. ASAP.