Wipeout in Annapolis

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not sure about the exact numbers, but I believe it was 16 Laser sailboats in a race got hit with a cold front with 40 knot winds on Sunday. All 22 people were dumped into the harbor. All were rescued by other boats and government boats. No one hurt. The folks were 18 to 70 years old. Front page news on Monday.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i gave up plans to go skiing sunday because it was so wretched and the lake is not frozen to ice boat. those sailors are tougher than most humans!

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
12 people sailed in, the rest were rescued, the last boat was found tue.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Looks like they were wisely wearing dry suits. I have seen bad looking weather like that on the bay and a squall often accompanies it. The wind changes direction so fast and so frequently there is no way to head up into it. Fortunately they were also in self rescuing lasers.
Wonder if NOAA or Predict Wind app forcast it.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I suspect it is an organized frostbite series and drysuits are standard, required apparel for Laser sailors, because these boats are expected to capsize. There is nothing uncommon about dinghy sailors getting dumped in the water in the winter. Frostbite series are standard fare all across the country in snow-covered locales. It's a sensationalized story because of the 40 MPH wind that caused everybody to go in simultaneously. I guarantee this isn't their first rodeo. They've all been in the drink in wintertime conditions before. If you think they're tough ... check out these guys.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
First time I ever sailed a Laser was in a race like this with 25kt tradewinds, every time I gybed the boat I found my self flying over the bow and into the water. Annoying little demon. :doh:
The last time I sailed a Laser was at a Sunsail Resort in Antiqua about 10 years ago. I had the same problem with my gybes ... and roll tacks. The wind wasn't even that strong. Maybe the warm water was the inducement for failure!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
First time I sailed was the day after Christmas on the Missouri river. We pushed ice flows out of the way to get to open water. Young and Dumb.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I was on my boat, below, at the slip when I heard the call on the radio. I thought they misspoke when they said the number of boats.