Windlass for a 310

Jan 31, 2016
Hunter 310 San Carlos
My Hunter 310 (year 2000) is setup for an optional windlass which was not installed. What windlass should I consider? Does anyone know what windlass was offered by Hunter in year 2000?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
My 2000 H340 came with a factory installed Simpson Lawrence Sprint Vertical 1000 windlass.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I think the 2000 is pretty close to our 1999 which I recently did. I threw this together as it went in and hope it will help. Sorry for the poor quality of the PDF as the original was too large to upload.

Attachments

Jan 31, 2016
Hunter 310 San Carlos
Thank you for the information. I will internet search for a Simpson Lawrence Sprint Vertical 1000 windlass. Can you close the hatch over the windlass?

Jan 31, 2016
Hunter 310 San Carlos
I think the 2000 is pretty close to our 1999 which I recently did. I threw this together as it went in and hope it will help. Sorry for the poor quality of the PDF as the original was too large to upload.
WOW. A complete set of instructions for a 15 year old sailboat. The Photos are great and so is the text. thanks very much. I will tell you how the install goes om my Hunter. I plan to install this in May. My boat is moored in Mexico.

Jan 4, 2006
WOW. A complete set of instructions for a 15 year old sailboat. The Photos are great and so is the text. thanks very much. I will tell you how the install goes om my Hunter. I plan to install this in May. My boat is moored in Mexico.
Just shout if you need an extra hand. Gotta get away from this miserable weather.

Jul 5, 2014
hunter 310 CHANNEL ISLANDS HARBOR
Great write up this will be really helpful on my 1999. can you tell me how to route the battery cables from the battery locker to the front?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm no expert, and I DON"T have a windlass, but from what I've read here, I believe that you would be better served putting a dedicated battery as close to the windlass as possible. Has to do with current draw of the motor, and voltage drop over the cable run. Someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
remember that the amp draw of an electric 12v windlass is so great that the engine must be running while it's operating. so it's perfectly permissible to power a windlass off your house bank. (preferably one with 2 decent size batteries.) you'd only need to run the appropriate size AWG cables from existing house bank to the windlass body. if you install a second house battery 'close' to the windlass you will also have to run all new wires from your battery charger, 12v gauge house readouts, inverter etc to get the new second (or 3rd) 'windlass battery' battery in to those circuits. as for the voltage drop calculations and wire gauge to supply your new windlass, the windlass install instructions will give that data. it's best to consult an ABYC marine electrician unless you are handy at doing those wire runs , installs and AWG size and voltage drop calculations yourself.

Jul 5, 2014
hunter 310 CHANNEL ISLANDS HARBOR
I have no problem with doing the work I was just lookibg for info on what path to run the battery cables from the locker to the windlass. Easier if someone already knows the path.

Jan 4, 2006
can you tell me how to route the battery cables from the battery locker to the front?
I used this as an excuse to eliminate the permanent list of the boat to starboard. Moved one house battery to port side and all was level once again. This is my idea of having a battery closer to the windlass. A little out of balance when charging but all settles out at the end of the absorption and float stages. The #2 cables were run, tucked up above the rear berth port side and head. The one place I'm still having trouble with is where the two cables pass through the port side salon, tucked up behind the teak trim. I have temporarily jammed up the two cables with a couple of pieces of foam rubber. Holds for a while but eventually manages to fall out. Got to come up with a permanent solution to hold the cables up there.

Using #2 wire, the largest voltage drop I see is 1.0V. This is using the winch SENSIBLY and not trying to break out with it. I also have a Balmar ARS-5 alternator regulator which really drives the voltage up at start up so the voltage does not drop to the point where the windlass would be labouring.

Jan 4, 2006
I will look at that path.
Not saying it's easy, but I found that to be the easiest path to get to the windlass motor housing. Let me know if you come up with anything that's easy/cheap/effective to hold the cables in place where they pass through the lounge area. As previously mentioned, the foam rubber is only temporary.

The one thing I should add is that I encased the two cables in split loom conduit for the full length. If memory serves me, I think I also enclosed the control wiring in the conduit as well as it passed by the electrical panel.

Conduit.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2012
Hunter H31 Saint John NB CA
Just a question from a guy who never had a windlass (but might someday).
Why do they seem to be disproportionately pricier than a regular winch for an ATC or small vehicle? Are the materials better quality?

Jan 4, 2006
Why do they seem to be disproportionately pricier
Just putting the name "marine" in front of it drives the price skyward. If you can afford a boat you can afford to pay double for our product :biggrin:. In truth, this is also related to the fact that the marine market is much, much smaller than the automotive market.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Simpson-Lawrence was bought out by Lewmar so there is no more S-L with the exception of a fellow in England selling bits. I just hauled a S-L to the scrap yard this spring. The Lewmars are actually at a good price point, you can spend a lot more. I like a horizontal windlass - seem more durable. Whatever fits. Make sure you have, or can get the proper chain gypsy.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
$1595 is actually reasonable! You can spend a whole lot more. As Ralph said, the economy of scale for the automotive industry is a big factor, and the fact that most ATV winches are not stainless steel body and components.