Which exhaust hose to use

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Exhaust from what? You say hoseS, meaning two or more. If it is your engine exhaust hose, singular, then #2 or 3, not #1. I opted for metal reinforced on our 17 foot long installation, suggest you do, too, unless you have a straight shot and very short.

You may also find local sources less expensive than WM.

Good luck, great thing to do.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. non corrugated is best.. Look on this site as well and maybe give Phil H. a shout .. the store here has that stuff too.

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I got Shields 2" type 250 for $5.86 per foot plus shipping and handling.

I used that type because that was the "old stuff" and it was still in amazingly good condition when I had to cut it off to get the mixing elbow out.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I got Shields 2" type 250 for $5.86 per foot plus shipping and handling.

I used that type because that was the "old stuff" and it was still in amazingly good condition when I had to cut it off to get the mixing elbow out.
Ditto on the Sheilds 2" hose, bought mine from a local chandlery for about 2/3 of WM price.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Any hose rated for wet exhaust should provide 5+ years of service. Any hose may fail prematurely due to overheating, chaffing, manufacturing defects, improper installs, etc. No question the better quality ones should last longer but no guarantees they will. I find corrugated hoses are easier to install where bends are required, usually come in standard sizes, are cheaper and provide an adequate service life. Last one I purchased (wet exhaust rated) came off the shelf of a belts and hoses shop. It is a matter of personal choice but I prefer to do the work and have a new hose and clamps every 5 years rather than wonder how much longer a better one would last. But that is just me.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
How hard is it to replace that aft exhaust hose? I haven't looked that close at it but seems to me its pretty tough to get at.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
How hard is it to replace that aft exhaust hose? I haven't looked that close at it but seems to me its pretty tough to get at.
I was 53 years and 250 and I could wriggle back there to get it. No 911 or EMT required.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Right now I have the fuel tank out so it should be relatively easy. I'm also replacing the cockpit drain hose.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Right now I have the fuel tank out so it should be relatively easy. I'm also replacing the cockpit drain hose.
Well worth doing, this work will stand you in good stead for a long time, especially if you use the best hoses and clamps, preferably Awab, but at least as noted in other threads, they should pass the magnet test.

Since you are tackling the hardest part of it already I would also evaluate the condition of the muffler.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I re-did the muffler a few years ago.

I had waited to long to winterize and there was ice in the exhaust hose exiting the muffler and exhaust pressure blew the top off the muffler. In hindsight, I'm glad it happened because some PO has attempted a repair to the muffler cover and did a shoddy job. I repaired it right by making a new cover with new fiberglass tubes,