Wheel size?

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
1990 Hunter 35.5 does anyone know what the wheel size is for this boat I am thinking of buying a folding wheel and can't get to the boat
Thanks in advance

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Not an answer but...
Forget the folding wheel. Expense and owner reorientation.
If it gets in the way, just remove it and stow it in the quarter berth or sail locker. It's one nut.
Then you'll have even more room than a folder.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Not an answer but...
If it gets in the way, just remove it and stow it in the quarter berth or sail locker. It's one nut.
Bad idea. What happens when something unexpected comes up, as it always does?

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
'87 model has a 42" wheel. Removing can a small pain if you have a wheel pilot.

Removing wheel while at the dock, should be fine, but while at anchor, I wouldn't
want to be without an wheel.

Chris

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Bad idea. What happens when something unexpected comes up, as it always does?
What?
I was referring to when docked.
It's a perfectly fabulous idea, employed by myself and others.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
'87 model has a 42" wheel. Removing can a small pain if you have a wheel pilot.

Removing wheel while at the dock, should be fine, but while at anchor, I wouldn't
want to be without an wheel.

Chris
Wheel pilot makes no difference. Intended for quick removal. However, stowage is more of a challenge with the drive motor hanging off.
Yes giant wheels would be more of a challenge. One might hang it on a pulpit etcetera with a bracket.
If it's ridiculously big then yes a folder might be better if they don't mind the huge cost.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Our 29.5 had a 42" wheel with autopilot. Went to a 40" folding and absolutely loved it. Never regretted it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Also, you don't take the chance of damaging the wheel pilot motor and ring.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not an answer but...
Many wheels has a loose key that fits into the keyway.... its the size of 1/3 of a nickle. Lose that and you've using your emergency tiller all the way home.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Many wheels has a loose key that fits into the keyway.... its the size of 1/3 of a nickle. Lose that and you've using your emergency tiller all the way home.
Yeah don't lose that. :-O
I was assuming the usual nuts as pictured. Mine is the latter, including a long key. If it dropped out it would only land in the cockpit.
Wheel removal time 7 seconds. Installation slightly longer as there's a tiny bit of aligning to do. Maybe 10 seconds.
Responding to others while at it; I'd never do this asea. The OP didn't state his intentions but I'm assuming when docked, he'd like to have more cockpit room. He might have other reasons.
I like to offer simple solutions, especially ones that don't cost anything. :clap:
Sometimes the simple remedy is not immediately apparent.

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ok Jackdaw, we're even for today. I made you laugh, you made me laugh. "1/3 of a nickel" - my mind immediately wandered - "that would be about 7/16 of a dime - measurements in coin - the conversions would be more interesting than English to metric". And then I stopped myself, because it's too early here for a beer.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
BTW when I'm docked, the wheel is locked by the brake at 12:00 neutral rudder, which puts the key straight up. Has never fallen out with wheel off.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ok Jackdaw, we're even for today. I made you laugh, you made me laugh. "1/3 of a nickel" - my mind immediately wandered - "that would be about 7/16 of a dime - measurements in coin - the conversions would be more interesting than English to metric". And then I stopped myself, because it's too early here for a beer.
Thats funny. I really could not think of a better discription for it. FYI for everyone else its part #9 in the diagram below. Don't loose it!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
LOVE our folding wheel. highly recommend them.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
I don't know the size but get one. One of the best accessories I bought for the boat.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Our folding wheel is awesome makes moving around the cockpit while anchored or at the dock a breeze in our P42. They aren't cheap so it's a balancing act between price and convience / comfort

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Our folding wheel is awesome makes moving around the cockpit while anchored or at the dock a breeze in our P42. They aren't cheap so it's a balancing act between price and convience / comfort
While my folding wheel was about $1000, it was absolutely a GREAT upgrade! And I even had to get a smaller wheel than what I had. If you can afford one, get one, it's just that simple!

Dec 20, 2016
Hunter 40.5 West PalmBeach
VZM.IMG_20160906_204449.jpg 20160906_194920.jpg This is what I did. I used some left over 1 1/2 tube and cut it a little long. Then secured the wheel with a few 1 dollar velcrows. I used 1 1/2 because it fit the nut nice but any that would cover the spindle and clear the key would work.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have several spares of the Key that I keep in the boat in a used pill bottle. First time I took the wheel off I knew I had better get some backups. So far have not lost the original.