What type of O'day is this?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
There should be a hull identification number on the starboard side of the transom. What is that number?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
What about a data plate or something riveted to the forward bulkhead? (can't tell from the listing, what I saw might have been a block or something)

I had a Sunfish clone years ago that took me a long search (before Google image search) to realize it was a Phantom.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Is it an O'day Javelin? Search on that and see, looks similar.

Jun 23, 2015
oday day sailor pittsburgh
I have attached one of the pictures from the craiglist ad. Which was linked above.

The reason I posted here is because I did a lot of research trying to figure out what type of boat this is, not because I am bad at using the internet.

The owner is no Joshua Slocum and I doubt this boat seen H20 in the past 10 years. He is pretty firm that it is and O'day and it is 16 feet long. I am not close off to just go over there. The owner doesn't seem to live close by either.

The only thing I was able to find was a youtube video of guy rigging an O'day 15-1, which was the closest match to this boat I could find. I am speculating that he measured around the curve of the boat. Its clearly not a "Day Sailor", just sold mine.

Anyways, I posted here at odayowners.com with the slight suspicion I might find someone who would look at the picture be like, ohh yeah that is "1963 Flying Owl".

Attachments

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The problem with it being an Oday, is the boat in the photo has a plumb bow. I do not know of any Oday that has a plumb bow, nor do any of the photos on SailboatData show an Oday with a plumb bow. I've sailed a Javelin, and have a friend who has a 17 foot Oday. It is not either of those. Looking at the rudder, that style of rudder looks like something designed in the 50s or 60s.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello meg2323,
I looked for pictures of the javelin and the Day Sailor in a copy of Sailboat Classes of North America. Good reference book, but the pictures are dark or inconclusive for those two boats compared to the one you show. The tiller looks like the one on the DS 17. The thwart that crosses the centerboard trunk does not appear in the picture of the Javelin and the paragraphs about the Javelin mention "The elimination of the conventional protruding centerboard case would also seem to be a good feature and add to cockpit comfort".

Javelin specs: LOA: 16' LWL: 13' 2" Beam: 5' 8" Draft: 6" wo/cb 3' 10" with cb Weight: 450 lb sail area: 125 sq ft Introduced by O'Day Corporation January 1962 New York Motor Boat Show

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Read a bit more....... Sailboat Classes of NA describes an O'Day 17 as follows: Uffa Fox designed this sloop in collaboration with George D. O'Day specifically with junior training in mind. The boat is the basic Day Sailor hull with an open cockpit, larger sail area (160 sq ft compared to 145), and a heavier weight (620 pounds compared to 580 pounds). Otherwise, the boats are similar. This is a new class put on the market by the O'day Corporation.

O'Day 17 specs: LOA: 16' 9" LWL: 16' Beam: 6' 3" Draft: wo cb 7" with cb down 3' 9" sail area: 160 sq ft weight 620 lb

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2015
oday day sailor pittsburgh
I talked with the owner and he is going to scour it for any identifying info tomorrow sometime.

It could be knock off or it could have had extensive restoration.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've never seen an O'Day design with a rudder like that - as dave pointed out, it looks like a much older design. It's not a javelin either.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
If the boat was built prior to 1972, it will not have a manufacturer's Hull Identification Number. Based on the shape of the rudder blade, I expect it is a design much prior to 1972. For example, the original rudder design for the GP14 is that spoon shape, and the GP14 was designed in the late '40's. And the Snipe was from around 1931.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I would say with 99% or better certainty that this is a GANNET, built by Marscot Plastics for O'DAY (built prior to Marscot merging with Beetle Boats to form American Boatbuilding, at which time the production of the O'DAYs was taken over by George O'Day himself at his new factory in Fall River, MA) The Gannet was based on a current International 14 hull with a deck desgned by O'DAY to make her more suited to his market. The metal plate shown would indicate a pre-1960 vintage O'DAY, as it lists Marscot as the builder FOR O'DAY.