Walkie talkie ideas

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
I read once about using Walkie talkies with headsets to communicate between the helm and bow, rather than yelling to each other (saves marriages). Anybody try this and suggestions for brands?

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Different use but me and brother used them when out dirtbike riding and it was great, put in the ear piece and it picks up voice automaticaly to talk so hands are always free, i can see it being a good safety device due to the hands free aspect

Feb 13, 2016
Aahhh man that was 10 years ago i think cobra but not sure. As long as it has the vox ear bud it probaly wouldnt matter, not that you need it but they had some real good range. We paid $100 back then so that set now is probaly real cheap. Ill look and see if there still around

Feb 13, 2016
Very good, they would be a good ideal especially when things get tense out there and stuff needs done now, ability to talk and have all hands free, genius

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
They are now called blue tooth headsets. Google them. Used offen on 50 ft + powerboats.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You can get radios just about anywhere. Brand really only adds a higher price. Walmart has FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. That is what you will be using. It is a free band on the UHF Frequency range (462 and 467 MHz). The use is free meaning does not require a license. If you see radios that say GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), you can use that also. Some of the channels I believe can be use without a license, those being 01 - 14. Channels 08 - 14 belong to the FRS so no license is needed.

The point being, any of the box stores portable radios can be used.

added - the reason I mention Walmart is because if you have issues, you can take them back to ANY Walmart. Just keep the receipt.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The original marraigesavers are no longer available. Their replacement from Cruising Solutions is quite pricy by comparison.
You really should consider Hands Free and Duplex. Hands free means no button to push to communicate and duplex means both parties can talk at the same time, like on a telephone vs a VHF simplex communication.
I have the old marraige savers and love them. I have used hand signals and the headset method is oo much easier and adds nuance. Like using a chartplotter vs sextant.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If your cruising area reception allows, just use cell phone to call each other. Headsets make it doable to put the phones in your pocket. We did that for the bowman-to-helmsman during the parade of lights. YMMV

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Save $$ figure out how to use hand signals. Fwd, neutral, reverse - gee three things to remember...:)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I read once about using Walkie talkies with headsets to communicate between the helm and bow, rather than yelling to each other (saves marriages). Anybody try this and suggestions for brands?
No, but I have another suggestion (not a brand). Practice, practice, practice. Reminds of the story of a cruising couple from New England (Connecticut) we once knew. The wife was relating a story of an anchoring situation where her husband was yelling at her. She finally retorted: "Please stop yelling and just tell me what to do." His reply: "If I knew what to do, I wouldn't be yelling!":laugh: Hilarious!!

Seriously, those things don't seem to work that well. The best thing to do is to establish a routine, and practice it. "Marriage Saver" is just an advertising come on, IMHO.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
they work fine in high wind, minimal wind noise. Emergency at night? You are inventing boogie men. We have no problem dropping anchor without the headsets at all. But using them is significantly better than without. If your chartplotter quit, would you die? Maybe you should stop using it along with the autopilot, the anchor windlass, the engine, everything else that might, maybe, could, perhaps fail

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Emergency at night? You are inventing boogie men.
Not exactly--it was only this past summer when a boat we were anchoring with had this very issue. As we watched, at night, in high wind, their multiple attempts to reset the anchor, I could clearly hear them shouting, at times yelling, to each other, but they evidently could not hear each other well. Visuals were also bad. A very stressful evening for all. The next day I offered the suggestion that they try the head-gear option which many cruisers of large boats, such as theirs, have aboard. She told me that they had 'em; they're not useful in high wind, etc. An aid, perhaps, they might be for some folks; but not a substitute for a routine that works from PRACTICE.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
well, theirs might not work well but mine are fine. They may need to add a foam sock to attenuate the wind noise.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Save $$ figure out how to use hand signals. Fwd, neutral, reverse - gee three things to remember...:)
So Stu, with hand signals, how would you tell the person at the helm to back slow in reverse for one boat length while steering hard to starboard. I know you want to but you're not allowed to use your middle finger. :biggrin:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So Stu, with hand signals, how would you tell the person at the helm to back slow in reverse for one boat length while steering hard to starboard. I know you want to but you're not allowed to use your middle finger. :biggrin:
That person should already know that that is part of the routine. I just walk back to the cockpit and say "Idle in reverse." Then later "Power in reverse." But she already knows that we're going to do that. Actually, there are times when I do not leave the cockpit until just prior to dropping the hook. We're discussing the situation up until then. Why in the f... does the skipper think he needs to be up there on the bow long b/f the time hook is let go? Too much copy-catting of poor routines one sees everywhere? Yeah--open the locker, position the anchor for the drop, then return, or stand near enough, to the helm to be heard clearly. However, whether I do or do not stand close, or whether I go forward early or late, or whether I use hand signals or shout, my helm knows what is going to happen and in what order.:thumbup:

Last edited: