Venture 22 electrical

Dec 1, 2016
Macgregor Venture 22' Hatfield
I am redoing all the electrical and lighting for my boat. Would any of you guys be willing to post photos of your switch panels that you guys have built. I am trying to figure out the best place to mount the switch panel, battery selector, stereo, and vhf radio. Thanks!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Not sure if this helps or not...

Info on the area above the galley here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-25.html

..... and wiring the boat in general here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-30.html

I don't have a switch panel anymore but have switches where I need them and ....

.... then fuse them with the fuse panel shown above.

I didn't like any of the panels when I did the wiring, as I couldn't find them with LED indicator lights, so made some along with the switches above the galley.

I also now have two 6 volt batteries in series for the house bank. They give you more amp/hrs for the buck, charge better than two 12 volt batteries in parallel and are "true" deep cycle batteries vs. the 12 volt RV/deep cycle which aren't so they last longer.

The switch on the left above is now just an on/off switch for the house bank. The other one can be used if I want to combine the two trolling motor batteries to the house bank or use them as the house bank. They are two 12 volt batteries that can be switched between in series for the 24 volt trolling motor or in parallel for a 12 volt bank,

Sumner

==========================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Here's my new panel, mounted in the fiberglass console on starboard side of 26D/S. Very simple and cheap with glass cartridge fuses, but laid out in a much safer and more organized way than it came from the factory. Let me take that back... the switch panels I chose are cheap... nothing else in your electrical project will be cheap if you use marine wire and waterproof heat-shirk terminals - which you most certainly should.
(also: I made a poor decision to use yellow as my 10ga hot supply wire when red wasn't available. I should've just waited till I could source 10ga red. It's not a problem for me - I know that a 10ga yellow wire on my boat is hot. But could be a problem if someone else works on my boat or I sell it at some point)

the black wire is actually an aux plug that runs all the way back up to the stereo which is above the galley:

The 3 white wires in first pic are for a light fixture directly above the panel and the 2 speakers that face the cockpit. everything else runs behind the settee:

And here's me trying to keep things organized on the back on the panel:

Hope that gives you some ideas

Dec 1, 2016
Macgregor Venture 22' Hatfield
Here's my new panel, mounted in the fiberglass console on starboard side of 26D/S. Very simple and cheap with glass cartridge fuses, but laid out in a much safer and more organized way than it came from the factory. Let me take that back... the switch panels I chose are cheap... nothing else in your electrical project will be cheap if you use marine wire and waterproof heat-shirk terminals - which you most certainly should.
(also: I made a poor decision to use yellow as my 10ga hot supply wire when red wasn't available. I should've just waited till I could source 10ga red. It's not a problem for me - I know that a 10ga yellow wire on my boat is hot. But could be a problem if someone else works on my boat or I sell it at some point)

the black wire is actually an aux plug that runs all the way back up to the stereo which is above the galley:

The 3 white wires in first pic are for a light fixture directly above the panel and the 2 speakers that face the cockpit. everything else runs behind the settee:

And here's me trying to keep things organized on the back on the panel:

Hope that gives you some ideas
I am trying to figure out how to best hide the wiring in the cabin. I was possibly thinking of putting a headliner in and hiding it under that but I am not sure. Right nwo the wiring is just fastened to the ceiling and is a little chaotic.