Vendee Globe boat in trouble

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
At one point he was down below with his finger on the distress button to bail. Luckily he was within helicopter distant and had watertight bulkheads below to wait things out if the hull disintegrated. Last I saw he was in the protection of the island and had Coast Guard come out with 2 other sailors and came on board to strengthen the hull and help him pump out.
Good for him. I'm made of different stuff. I think I would have bailed.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Good for him. I'm made of different stuff. I think I would have bailed.
He's made of real different stuff. There's not a chance I would have been down there in the first place.... ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He's made of real different stuff.
I don't think there's a lot of diffferent stuff involved.
It's a matter of priority. He ranks sailing across the Southern Oceans like a banshee with the boats transom on fire a bit higher than you or I.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I don't think there's a lot of diffferent stuff involved.
It's a matter of priority. He ranks sailing across the Southern Oceans like a banshee with the boats transom on fire a bit higher than you or I.
Its different stuff.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Seems like every time we read a story of hazards at sea, somewhere along the line the pump breaks. Seems like too critical a part to have one that will break or even clog.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Sail her backwards, thats easy i do it all the time(not on purpose sshhhh) i worked in the railyards for years, those containers can be a few thousand lbs up to i know illegal but well over 100000, when our cranes wouldnt pick them off the railcars they are heavy!

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Is anyone playing Virtual Regatta's Vendee Globe? There's something like 455k players. They released a simulated satellite image of all the simulated sailboats (it's that swarm of white dots stretching around the bottom of the world). If you look closely, I think you can see thin bands of boats washing up on Antarctica...too funny, and I don't think the virtual leaders are able to catch the real ones, just north of the Falkland's last time I checked. Hey, is that a pack of cheaters heading north off the coast of Africa???

upload_2016-12-27_19-41-14.png

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Here is some underwater vid of the 800 ft freighter El Faro laying in 15,000 of water, notice the debris field of broken containers and tanks. I will guarantee you that more than few floated away with their seals intact and because hazards to navigation.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
Is anyone playing Virtual Regatta's Vendee Globe? There's something like 455k players. They released a simulated satellite image of all the simulated sailboats (it's that swarm of white dots stretching around the bottom of the world). If you look closely, I think you can see thin bands of boats washing up on Antarctica...too funny, and I don't think the virtual leaders are able to catch the real ones, just north of the Falkland's last time I checked. Hey, is that a pack of cheaters heading north off the coast of Africa???

View attachment 131438
I play this game all the time. Lots of fun to get routers and weather analysis involved. Currently around 2900th spot with Hugo Boss sailing right beside me. lol.
Marc

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I play this game all the time. Lots of fun to get routers and weather analysis involved. Currently around 2900th spot with Hugo Boss sailing right beside me. lol.
Marc
Let's see, 2900/0.5M ... Dude - you're like in first place! It sounds like a hoot! I tried several times to sign up, but the site doesn't seem to acknowledge my email account :banghead:What's the boat name?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you want to continue talking about the game, you might want to start a new thread. You might get more participation from those that are not reading this thread. You can do it here in Racing, or Sails Call Lounge.