Vendee Globe boat in trouble

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wow! That huge ocean and he hits something. I think one year a competitor hit a whale.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The ocean is huge, and also full of junk. I'll be surprised of any of the foilers finish without hitting something.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
IMHO, he needs to make arrangements to get off that thing now. Whatever is holding that thing together isn't going to sustain a lot of flexing. He's got an adrenaline surge; understandable.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Came within a nm of hitting a container just before sunrise many years ago while cruising. Scary stuff. I couldn't imagine hitting one at 17 or so knots. :yikes:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Came within a nm of hitting a container just before sunrise many years ago while cruising. Scary stuff. I couldn't imagine hitting one at 17 or so knots. :yikes:
Was 100 miles off the coast of Mexico, about 50 miles south of Baja, getting ready to turn southeast for Banderas Bay. Passed about 50' from a whole dock floating there, semi-submerged, maybe 30' long. Didn't even see it until maybe 100' away. These guys seem to be sailing through patches, given the collision damage to the fleet.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Single hand sailing in the Southern ocean while sleeping below...what could go wrong? Never seen a boat take that kind of impact damage. Massive.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
looks like he hit the side of a container ship.......not the container......holy crap

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
re: Jackdaw
Alex tore Hugo Boss' starboard foil off hitting something.

....and dont forget that Robert Redford hit a container a couple years ago ....:wink:

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Current update translated from French;

"The Skipper of the "Le Souffle Du Nord pour Le Projet Imagine / Vendée Globe" is currently trying to get his sailboat heavily injured, due to a collision, to a safe harbour namely bluff in New Zealand. Thomas Ruyant has developed well that night, he arrived in the area "protected" by the southern tip and is currently 80 miles of the ultimate goal. He moves between 8 and 12 knots but the situation is particularly difficult."

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
And I guarantee he is not getting any sleep! This is an insanely dangerous sailboat race.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
IMHO, he needs to make arrangements to get off that thing now. Whatever is holding that thing together isn't going to sustain a lot of flexing. He's got an adrenaline surge; understandable.
At one point he was down below with his finger on the distress button to bail. Luckily he was within helicopter distant and had watertight bulkheads below to wait things out if the hull disintegrated. Last I saw he was in the protection of the island and had Coast Guard come out with 2 other sailors and came on board to strengthen the hull and help him pump out.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Is anyone ever held legally liable for junk left floating in the ocean?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
This is why I want forward scanning sonar on any passage making vessel... A racer might be moving too fast to take evasive action after the collision alarm is sounded, but at least you get a warning at all.
My only frame of reference for this (because I have not used any commercially available forward scan sonar) is the sonar on a Guided Missile Destroyer. Since one mission of a DDG is to hunt subs, I'm pretty sure we have the most powerful active sonar arrays out there, plus SPY radar can be tuned to pick up even smaller surface targets than we typically expect, like the corner of a partially submerged container poking up from the swells. On a 505 ft 100,000 shaft HP ship with that kind of power in sensors, yes we got a warning and had time to maneuver even at 30kts, but our typical 'cruise' speed on Pacific crossing was 14-17 knots.