Upholstery

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
Hi does anyone know a good upholstery co in the Toronto area. I would like to get my interior cushions redone. Would like to get a lighter coloured fabric to brighten up the interior. Does anyone have a fabric suggestion or company
Thanks Floyd

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
No, but I do have a suggestion about the cushion interior foam. Use nonflammable foam. It costs only a little more and provides you with protection from a horrible death in the event of a fire. California, requires this type of foam in all home furniture cushions and mattresses I am told. I had it installed in my replacement cushions ten years ago and it has held up fine in that application.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
For fabrics look at sunbrella. Lots of color selections and it holds up well in marine environment - it's what's used on Dodgers although you will be looking at their upholstery versions.

Sailrite is a great source as well as going right to the sunbrella site.

Sorry can't help you on upholstery shop though.

We reupholstered the cushions on our 38 a few years ago. It was kind of a luxury thing to do because they were only 2 years old but my wife so hated the dark blue that came with the boat. We went with a lighter color suede type material and the transformation was amazing. And happy wife happy life :)

We used a local company that works out of the small city where we keep the boat so they wouldn't be a good suggestion for you. Their work is so highly regarded that they have more work than they can even keep up with.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/fabrics/collections
Sunbrella has hundreds of different colors and patterns. Do not think that all Sunbrella is like your sail covers. This stuff is not cheap be may last for a lifetime. I cannot help with shops in your area but be sure to avoid metal zippers and use vinyl on the underside if the cushions are in contact to fiberglass to avoid mold/mildew contact.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Hi does anyone know a good upholstery co in the Toronto area. I would like to get my interior cushions redone. Would like to get a lighter coloured fabric to brighten up the interior. Does anyone have a fabric suggestion or company
Thanks Floyd
I have used Island Canvas - now over on Queen's Quay East- for canvas work and been pleased with them. Abby was very good at sticking to her quote. They also do cushions.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Just did our cushions with sunbrella and we love it and feels great and will hold up very well.
Nick

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
No, but I do have a suggestion about the cushion interior foam. Use nonflammable foam. It costs only a little more and provides you with protection from a horrible death in the event of a fire. California, requires this type of foam in all home furniture cushions and mattresses I am told. I had it installed in my replacement cushions ten years ago and it has held up fine in that application.
Roy, the laws have changed since you had that installed. California rescinded that law in 2014 after it was determined that flame retardants were a serious health issue. Just google "flame retardant on furniture foam" and you will find a ton of information about the dangers.

Jun 25, 2016
Hunter 31 canada
Hi Floyd, have used Genco Marine in Toronto for new cushions and dodger. Good service and fair pricing. There are usually a few canvas places that have a booth at Toronto Boat Show if you want to check them out, end of January

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Hi Floyd, have used Genco Marine in Toronto for new cushions and dodger. Good service and fair pricing. There are usually a few canvas places that have a booth at Toronto Boat Show if you want to check them out, end of January

1+ on Genco. When we lived in Toronto we had them redo our previous boat's interior cushions , a Bayfield 32c, 14 years ago. The work was top notch. We spent a little extra on getting Swedish sleeping foam for our V-Berth which was money well spent. Couldn't recommend Genco highly enough.

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Floyd, have you considered doing the upholstery yourself? Buy a decent heavy duty machine with a walking foot, like the SailRite. Go to a fabric store and poke around the outdoor upholstery fabrics, watch the SailRite videos on how to do it, and go for it! I did this last year, reupholstered every cushion on the boat. Not as good as a professional job, but it came out pretty damn good for my first try. Then when I got done with that I made a BBQ cover, sail cover, outboard cover, and a few other odds and ends. Hopefully someone stops me before I try to upholster the hull!

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
How does this foam do with getting wet in the cockpit
Keith, do you mean the the vinyl getting wet in the cockpit?
They have had their share of lake water and rain on them this past summer...
they just wipe down without water penetrating into the foam.
I used new 4" closed cell high density foam for all the upholstery.
image.jpg image.jpg

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
Did all of our cushions in Premium Naugi-Soft marine....soft, supple feel & look.
View attachment 131277 View attachment 131278 View attachment 131279
Glad to hear you are happy with the Nauga-Soft. I just bought 20 yards of the white from Sailrite to reupholster all of the cushions in our Hunter 34. I am a bit worried that it might be a bit sticky in the heat of the summer but really wanted the stain resiliency it affords. It arrives today so let the marathon of upholstery begin! ;)

May 4, 2012
Hunter 45DS Toronto
I have used Island Canvas on Queens Quay in Toronto for many years and 2 boats. I had a complete set of cushions,pillows, full canvas, winter cover and the quality and price was great.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I went with the regular Naugahyde white to match the cockpit seat cushions for these back rests.
Reusing the foam from the original interior salon back rests (it's the same closed-cell foam that's in the seat cushions) since I redid the interior upholstery.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
What foam did you use and where did you purchase it
Hi Keith...
I used 4" high density Curon-45 Firm 100% polyurethane open cell foam.
Bought it at a 'somewhat' local marine fabrics retailer at the time...JTS Outdoor Fabrics, Barrie Ontario Canada.
If you search Curon Foam locally, I'm sure some will be close by....it's quite common.
Arguments for, or against the use of open cell foam versus closed cell foam in the marine environment won't involve me...I researched in depth (including myths) for my needs, and chose open cell.
Regards, Paul.

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
What foam did you use and where did you purchase it
Puesta,
Not sure where on the Chesapeake you are but if you're near the Baltimore/Annapolis area, the House Of Foam in downtown Baltimore right across from the Raven's stadium is great. I went in with measurements for all new cabin cushions on my 34 and they had them cut within an hour. It's a funky little place as they also sell and install Car Audio, Electronics, Wheels and window tint but the entire back half of the facility is filled with foam.
http://www.house-of-foam.com/