Twin Rudder Macgregor 25

Mac 25

Nov 5, 2013
Macgregor 25 inland lakes in Michigan
Can't find a post about a Mac 25 owner who added a second rudder with the motor
in the center of the transom. Hope someone out there can help out.
Thank's for any help.

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
I've thought putting on twin rudders and center outboard. I want to cruise the great circle and with the outboard off center it wants to crab a bit. Just have not gotten past the thinking stage.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Im not sure what the point would be in twin rudders on a mac 25, as the original rudder is perfectly adequate if the rigging and sails are trimmed as they should be...

as for the offset motor causing the boat to crab, it is only a matter of trimming the motor a bit to one side so that the rudder is centered... and motor along using the rudder to steer with. this way the boat slips thru the water with the least resistance. the motor being trimmed a bit for compensation makes absolutely no difference in its operation or economy.

if anyone is using the motor as the general steering control on a mac 25, they are either running without a rudder, or they are doing it in a much more complicated manner than it needs to be....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This CAN be done. Many modern boats come with dual rudders, and some older designs have been retrofit.

For boat like the Mac25 the actual advantage is minimal, because the transom is narrow. It MIGHT help when motoring by keeping the motor on the centerline. Here is a dual-rudder retrofit First 235. Note that the rudders are angled so one is always vertical when heeled. This makes for a complex linkage at the tie-rod/tiller.

image1436707289.jpg

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I have to agree with Centerline. I have no crabbing at all. I keep my pivot screw tight on the motor so it holds its heading. Minor tweaks are all you need. way too much work and expense for the slight increase in performance. The only time I notice it to be a slight PIA is in reverse. But a little practice and you are good. That is with 9.9hp longshaft on a stock mount.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the only advantage I could see to dual rudders on a mac25 is if one were to be constantly sailing with the rail in the water.... OR, as I already said, the rigging/sails are out of trim so badly, that it is hard to manage the steering with the OEM design.... both of which have severe "inefficiencies" of their own....
properly trim the rigging and sails, and keep the boat on its feet where it sails very well and save a lot of needlessly wasted time and money..

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
properly trim the rigging and sails, and keep the boat on its feet where it sails very well and save a lot of needlessly wasted time and money..

yes, yes, yes! invest in tuning the standing rigging and new crisp sails. Otherwise wasting time and money.