Trailer Sailer Capri 22 Wing keel?

MEM626

Jan 1, 2017
None None N/A
I've been shopping for a Capri 22 with a wing keel with the intention of trailering it to lakes in the inter mountain west to get more sailing experience before possibly moving up. I was told once the wing keel can launch without disconnecting from the vehicle - a cable system or whatever.
I saw an owner feedback on this site that said you cannot launch the wing keel without disconnecting or "half-submerging your vehicle..."
My goal is storing on the trailer and being able to visit many lakes in Utah and the adjoining states.
Thoughts on ease of trailering and launching a wing keel appreciated.
I guess thoughts on wing vs swing keel, although I haven't heard much good about a swing keel and was steering away from this model.
Thanks,
Mark

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
You need a steeper ramp or a longer tongue or trailer. When taking my 30 with fin out of water, you back trailer to edge, block and remove trailer from vehicle, add a 30 foot chain and back trailer in 30 more feet. Reverse to take out.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
I've been shopping for a Capri 22 with a wing keel with the intention of trailering it to lakes in the inter mountain west to get more sailing experience before possibly moving up. I was told once the wing keel can launch without disconnecting from the vehicle - a cable system or whatever.
I saw an owner feedback on this site that said you cannot launch the wing keel without disconnecting or "half-submerging your vehicle..."
My goal is storing on the trailer and being able to visit many lakes in Utah and the adjoining states.
Thoughts on ease of trailering and launching a wing keel appreciated.
I guess thoughts on wing vs swing keel, although I haven't heard much good about a swing keel and was steering away from this model.
Thanks,
Mark
Your Capri 22 wing can be launched as easily as a swing, except you will most likely need to get the tires wet on your tow vehicle, depending on the angle/steepness of the ramp. Make sure you get a trailer tongue extension...you will need it. You should not need a launch strap/cable if you have an tongue extension...unless you have a very long/shallow ramp. The swing keel is not available on the Capri 22. Capri 22 is fin or wing keel only. Swing keel is a Catalina 22. Good luck!