There's an app for that...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Due to a SNAFU we didn't have our Velocitek ProStart compass for Day#1 of our Fall Regatta... a key part of our tactical data-gathering. But with an iphone and some e-tape, and an app, all better!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
What do you think of an Apple Watch applications, Jackdaw? The new Series 2 watches are waterproof. Not sure what kinds of features could be put into the Apple Watch form factor for independent use, eg. not tethered to a phone. I could see wearing the Apple Watch for dinghy sailing without needing to have the phone on board. It should be able to do a start sequence, using beeps and taptic engine feedback, and then switch to speed for sure. I don't know if heading would be as easy, considering all the different positions your hand would be in. But it has the GPS chip in it, so heading would be reasonable, I think. You know much about GPS.

Nov 8, 2010
What do you think of an Apple Watch applications, Jackdaw? The new Series 2 watches are waterproof. Not sure what kinds of features could be put into the Apple Watch form factor for independent use, eg. not tethered to a phone. I could see wearing the Apple Watch for dinghy sailing without needing to have the phone on board. It should be able to do a start sequence, using beeps and taptic engine feedback, and then switch to speed for sure. I don't know if heading would be as easy, considering all the different positions your hand would be in. But it has the GPS chip in it, so heading would be reasonable, I think. You know much about GPS.
I have a Gen1 Apple watch.

There are two apps that I know/use that support the watch, iRegatta Pro and iSailor.

iRegatta gives a basic SOG and Course page. Good and functional. iSailor gives that plus much more, a waypoint page, a map page, and more. Like set a MOB, or switch to night mode.

They all use the GPS in the phone, or the connected units via WiFi. Thats better. I would not trust the wrist GPS for speed or course, because your hand is moving around so much. That GPS is that only for athletic tracking, like a Garmin Vivofit does.

When racing, I'm so used to looking at the mast for data that I don't want it on my wrist. But my tacticians (who often sit on the rail) have started using it to see our number (course) while there without having to turn and read the mast.

Short handed and/or just cruising its great.

I LOVE iSailor.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
I also like iSailor, in my case on the iPad as a backup to the plotter at the helm. Great program with free updates.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks, Jackdaw. I've been thinking that the waterproofness of the new Series 2 watch brings it to a feature set where I want to get one. When I'm racing, I'm in dinghies on puddles, so my simple Ronstan watch, or when I'm racing the O'day for a casual distance race using the Citizen Sailhawk, I'm usually good to go. I don't often even need a compass, because what good is anticipating a lift when sitting on glass, and your competitor is 100 yards over sailing with pressure on the opposite tack? :banghead::doh::cuss:

From what I understand, skippering and having to look at one's wrist isn't very convenient. But rigging some form of mount on the mast for an iPhone showing course and speed would be quite useful on a small boat, without the additional expense of $500 to $600 for Velocitek or Tacktick unit.

An iPhone in a Lifeproof case, attached to a minicell foam block velcroed to the mast, might just do the trick. Link up to the Apple Watch Series 2, and it could work well...

Dangit, I just looked at Lifeproof's webpage. They used to make these awesome orange foam bricks called Lifejackets that you could put your Lifeproof encased phone into. Now they only seem to make them for iPads. That sucks, because I already had a design in mind gluing a Lifejacket to a shaped block of minicell that would velcro around the Force 5 mast, for the ultimate in excessiveness. I even have a chunk of thick minicell that would work. Now I'm thinking how I could put velcro on the back of the Lifeproof case. It could be hook velcro, which would just attach to the primarily loop section of one of these, which would be holding the minicell block to the mast. https://www.rei.com/product/848430/redpoint-sport-wrap-package-of-2 Hmmm.... :D:D:D

Nov 8, 2010
Brian,

I can't imagine racing (or sailing for that matter) without a compass, It transforms your upwind sailing ability. The current range of commercial racing compasses are spendy; with the Nautalytics being the best bargain at $335.

Just for fun I resuscitated my old iPhone 4 (with its lifeproof!) and turned it into a backup compass... I might use it at night because the Prostart is not backlit. Brackets are in the $50 range but you could make one for much less if you are handy with metal. On Craigslist iPhone4s go for 50-100 bucks here in Minneapolis.

Don't try and make it float. Just use a tether.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Don't try and make it float. Just use a tether.
As much as I liked (sometimes) the Lifeproof cases for my iPhone 5s, I was always unhappy that there was no attachment point for any kind of tether. Unless I put it into the LifeJacket foamy block thing. I used to bring the cased iPhone with me when sea kayaking, and the foam block didn't fit well under the deck rigging of the kayak.

I recently found (in a pile of papers) and cashed in a gift certificate at APS to get the Ritchie X-port Tactician compass. Haven't decided where on the Force 5 it should go. On the daggerboard cap in front of the trunk, or up on deck between the splashboards and mast. I suspect on deck it should be spaced up higher than the splash boards for easier viewing. Or maybe I just go with iPhone. These are things I can fart around with come winter.

Nov 8, 2010
I recently found (in a pile of papers) and cashed in a gift certificate at APS to get the Ritchie X-port Tactician compass. Haven't decided where on the Force 5 it should go.
Normally you get TWO of those...... ;^)

Nov 8, 2010
I don't get it. Why would I need 2 compasses? I mean, yeah, I have 2 boats, but only one of them is the one most likely to race.
I was making a joke.... those small tactical compass are normally used in PAIRS on larger boats - one on each of the side decks just in front of the helm or tac position. Tradiational dial compasses are harder to use on the centerline because it can be hard to read the same number from the rail. Its part of the reason that numerical compasses are becoming so popular.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Its called Race Sailing Tack Optimizer (RSTO). Its a couple of bucks. Android too.

https://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/race-sailing-tack-optimizer/id958773805?mt=8

On my iphone 6 it ran for 4 hours before the battery got unhappy. The display was very easy to read from the cockpit. I had it in my lifeproof case, and taped to the ProStart cradle.

We have been using the binnacle compass, but I just downloaded your suggested app on my Android for free. Cool App.

Now to figure out how to use it to help us during a race. What is your most common use? I can see how it would help identify wind shifts and favored tacks, but what else do you use it for?

Nov 8, 2010
Now to figure out how to use it to help us during a race. What is your most common use? I can see how it would help identify wind shifts and favored tacks, but what else do you use it for?
Just that. If you can do that reliably you are going to be better than 90% of people who race.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I was making a joke.... those small tactical compass are normally used in PAIRS on larger boats - one on each of the side decks just in front of the helm or tac position. Tradiational dial compasses are harder to use on the centerline because it can be hard to read the same number from the rail. Its part of the reason that numerical compasses are becoming so popular.
Oh, I get it now. I thought that's what you were getting at! :D

So, I'll order another one. Was thinking I should place the original at either green circle location. But when I have two, I'll put each at both the red circle locations! :D Not!

IMG_0703.jpg

(Note this is not my good Force 5. This is the old shabby one that needs new wood, and has a poorly attempted patch on the bottom. The good one has proper brightwork on the wood! :D I'm dying to get rid of this one, I'm so tired of fixing up boats, just want to play with them for a few years!)