The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
Prop Swap

Not really a Mac-specific mod, but I swapped the prop on my Nissan NSF5BS (5hp) today from the standard 7.8 X 8 to the "high thrust" 8.375 X 6. If I remember correctly, the Nissan/Tohatsu part# 399B645121. I couldn't find it for less than $160 or so. Learned that the smaller Mercury motors are just a Tohatsu in disguise. I bought Mercury part #48-812951A02 for $107 as they are apparently discontinuing it in the Merc. line.

Don't know if I'll have the chance to try it out this season, but wanted to check it for fit.

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor venture 25 port dufferin
Re: Prop Swap

What did you do to your mac today?
I shed a tear, The crane came this morning and is slinging the large sailboats out that I share the dock with. Mine a ven25 "Nanna" I will take out on either Monday or Tuesday next week. Sailing season is over here on Canada's east coast.
It has been a dismal season, the days that I was off the weather was either rainy or the winds were just to high for my comfort zone, then when I had to go back to work it was gorgeous, perfect for sailing and me at work.
Well there always next year.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
I put the mast back on for the winter, and stripped the sail and live rigging off. Since my boys aren't local any more, and the admiral can't help, and I can barely use my arms (shoulders are shot), I put my engine hoist to work.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Not really a Mac-specific mod, but I swapped the prop on my Nissan NSF5BS (5hp) today from the standard 7.8 X 8 to the "high thrust" 8.375 X 6. If I remember correctly, the Nissan/Tohatsu part# 399B645121. I couldn't find it for less than $160 or so. Learned that the smaller Mercury motors are just a Tohatsu in disguise. I bought Mercury part #48-812951A02 for $107 as they are apparently discontinuing it in the Merc. line. Don't know if I'll have the chance to try it out this season, but wanted to check it for fit.
What is that white thing on the starboard side of the motor?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
But.. it looks like you had some valuable help from the dog..

Aug 14, 2013
What is that white thing on the starboard side of the motor?
I little plastic plate the PO installed to keep the rudder out of the prop. I need to replace the screws with stainless bolts but haven't made the time yet.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
But.. it looks like you had some valuable help from the dog..

Yeah, she was doing her customary rolling in something foul smelling, then looking for a biscuit as a reward. :dance: Dogs - ya gotta love 'em. :D

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Since my 26S is about 1/2 mile away from where this picture is taken, this must therefore be on topic..

this guy also likes to have his head smell. Preferences (in order) are:

1. Rotting dead fish
2. Motor oil
3. Skunk
4. Deer piss (at least I think that is what that fricken smell is)..

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hauled my boat out of the water yesterday for the season. We still have good weather, but I have to go to Tulsa for 3 weeks :cry:

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
We are working on installing an Alcohol Stove in the 26D Counter top...

Cutting out a hole.. making a plywood spacer and plywood cabinet top..

will post pictures when we can..

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Trying to get a few more chances before the season is over. Went out yesterday for a little single handing. Powered up my old (and I mean old) Autohelm 1000. This thing is a bit temperamental but it works.

http://youtu.be/BQWSL921QSQ

It was nice out yesterday. About 70 with 8-10 winds. Saw some tall ships out there and one showed up on boat beacon as "the pride of Baltimore 2".

Had 2 dolphins come up and play on my port beam about 1' from the side of the boat. Couldn't get my camera out fast enough.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Sad day on Lake Erie this past Sunday. Not many boats in the water as we took Teliki's sails off, motored to the ramp and hauled her out.
Started to rain so we need to go back this weekend to take the mast down and tow her home (for "emptying" prior to storage).

Oh, an I discovered that a mix of dead weeds and rotting carp is extremely slippery. Fell in at the ramp - no clothes to change into so my wife had to endure the smell for an hour and a half as we drove home. I don't feel like eating fish for a long time - yuk!

Chris

image-2902715599.jpg

image-3869357267.jpg

image-3861523306.jpg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I crawled under my cockpit to doublecheck the diameters of the through-hull fiitting and connecting hose for replacement, and learned that I'd have to remove the stern light housing in order to replace the incandescent lamp with an LED.

I'd like to take this opportunity to praise Defender Industries for standing behind the products they sell. I had purchased a pair of binoculars. Granted, the cheapest model with an integral compass that they offered, and after the left eyepiece broke off in my hand, they made it right.

About to spend a boatload of money at Defender.
Whoo-hoo. :D

Jun 11, 2010
Mac Gregor 26M House
I have just listed my 26M for sale and have placed a presentation on youtube which shows all of the ($11,000) of mods. I will never recoop the money invested, but I had a ball coming up with ideas. A year ago, when I started the project, someone said "never happened without pictures". Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Ehp_fPT1NQ

I just tried link and it failed.

Try typing in address bar. If that fails do search on youtube for

My Sailboat Curt Anderson

Found problem--wrong URL. Try:

http://youtu.be/Ehp_fPT81NQ

Aug 14, 2013
Took her to covered storage for the winter. I need her out of the way as we try to sell the house. Storage is on the way to the lake, so I still hope to get a sail or two in before it gets really cold.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I stole some essential gear off the V25 so I could bring the new boat up the Bay to her new home.

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I have just listed my 26M for sale and have placed a presentation on youtube which shows all of the ($11,000) of mods. I will never recoop the money invested, but I had a ball coming up with ideas. A year ago, when I started the project, someone said "never happened without pictures". Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Ehp_fPT1NQ

I just tried link and it failed.

Try typing in address bar. If that fails do search on youtube for

My Sailboat Curt Anderson

Found problem--wrong URL. Try:

http://youtu.be/Ehp_fPT81NQ

what it looks like w/o spaces:

[ yt ] Ehp_fPT81NQ&feature=youtu.be [ /yt ]