The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

Sep 22, 2013
Macgregor 26X decatur
Well, I dreamed and studied and read and dreamed, and finally retirned to the states from The middle east and bought my first Macgregor 26X. I got a good deal on it, but didnt get to lake test it with the previous owner. I did not get the chance to learn anything from him. This weekend I realized that mast raising is not as easy as I thought, so I decided to just make sure that the thing does not leak and the motor runs. I backed her into the water at the ramp and dropped the motor. Nissan 50hp. She is a little cold natured, but started with a little coaxing with the choke. Noticed the water does not squirt out the back of the motor like my last boat did. Oh well, the over temp warning did not come on so maybe this motor does not have a visual as good as a nice stream of water squirting out the back like my last boat. ten I went through the boat and checked for leaks. The last owner committed a sin in my mind ad drilled a hole in the hull to mount a speedometer for crying out loud !! And of course there was seepage around the through hull !! Damn! All other areas seemed dry. So I sat here and let the motor charge the batteries for 20 minutes, debated on letting opening te ballast, but decided to do that next time. I momentarily bumped her into forward and reverse to check the gears. I considered taking her for a little spin around the lake, but when I tried to turn te wheel nothing would turn. Everything was locked in middle position. I looked for a latch or knob to turn to release the steering mechanism, but couldnt find anythiing. I had an old yamaha on my last boat that had a lever that locked the motor in a central position, but could not find anything on this Nissan like that.......So I put her back on the trailer and went home. It was a good drill anyway cause I now know that the through hull needs to be repaired and I noticed one of the spreaders were bent. As I sat at the Hard Dock cafe sipping my beer and watching the sunset I reflected back. It's been ten years since I last sailed. I am anxious to get back out there, but I am older and slower and as it turns out, maybe a little dumber !!!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
-/ hijack thread

Well, I dreamed and studied and read and dreamed, and finally retirned to the states from The middle east and bought my first Macgregor 26X. I got a good deal on it, but didnt get to lake test it with the previous owner. I did not get the chance to learn anything from him. This weekend I realized that mast raising is not as easy as I thought, so I decided to just make sure that the thing does not leak and the motor runs. I backed her into the water at the ramp and dropped the motor. Nissan 50hp. She is a little cold natured, but started with a little coaxing with the choke. Noticed the water does not squirt out the back of the motor like my last boat did. Oh well, the over temp warning did not come on so maybe this motor does not have a visual as good as a nice stream of water squirting out the back like my last boat. ten I went through the boat and checked for leaks. The last owner committed a sin in my mind ad drilled a hole in the hull to mount a speedometer for crying out loud !! And of course there was seepage around the through hull !! Damn! All other areas seemed dry. So I sat here and let the motor charge the batteries for 20 minutes, debated on letting opening te ballast, but decided to do that next time. I momentarily bumped her into forward and reverse to check the gears. I considered taking her for a little spin around the lake, but when I tried to turn te wheel nothing would turn. Everything was locked in middle position. I looked for a latch or knob to turn to release the steering mechanism, but couldnt find anythiing. I had an old yamaha on my last boat that had a lever that locked the motor in a central position, but could not find anything on this Nissan like that.......So I put her back on the trailer and went home. It was a good drill anyway cause I now know that the through hull needs to be repaired and I noticed one of the spreaders were bent. As I sat at the Hard Dock cafe sipping my beer and watching the sunset I reflected back. It's been ten years since I last sailed. I am anxious to get back out there, but I am older and slower and as it turns out, maybe a little dumber !!!

a few comments.

Most outboards I know of do have a pee tube. yours is probably clogged. (thin wire to unclog may help). only on little engines have I not seen one.

-also what I do when I know the engine is running well, is pull the cover off and see how long I can touch the head. ie, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, etc.

Then again when its fully warm. Same thing with the water pump, 'pee water'. how long can I leave my hand under the stream before I need to pull it away...

that gives me a baseline.

often the impellers start to break off before failing completely.
(or, I was at 4 seconds before but now its 2 seconds... time to replace).

The steering cables on the X is a common problem/maintenance item. hydraulic steering is wonderful and almost maintenance free, but not cheap.

heating the cable and the tube at the engine can help (careful!)

usually its the engine tube that locks up... vs the wheel end... unless you force the wheel.

</ hijack thread/>

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Use one of the salt release agents; I got one from wet marine. Run it often. I was surprised on the flow improvement.

Jeff

Kokani

Oct 19, 2011
Kokani 26D MAZATLAN / Valle de Bravo
I did this 2 weeks ago i tried to post it in MAC26 D owners modifications but the link doesent work anymore.

Chartplotter /fishfinder base made of teak Wood swivels into position or folds back to let the entrance free.

it Works very well.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Hint
If you tie them together the chances of one taking a swim is greatly reduced.;)

I'll kick this thing off! Today I tackled the daunting task of finding a spot for my pop-top supports;). I was tired of them just lying around and getting in the way. A little trip to Ace Hardware and a little time; and I had a solution. I did use shorter screws than those provided.

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
Started two projects: installing my new Lowrance Elite 7 and a small solar panel. Was easier to do the panel off the boat. I'm debating whether to drill a hole and run the cable inside the pipe or just use ties and run it outside.

Attachments

Yosi

Apr 22, 2012
Unsure Unsure Florida
P.S. the panels in the background are from my company Sunpreme. The small one for the boat is purchased, since our panels have no frame-just glass.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Sadly, I just thought about storage for my boats this weekend... Rain and no time...

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Chris, That sounds like a dream. I may try it too.
I will get out this weekend. (Even if I get the piston for my Saab that's torn apart in the driveway.)
Only another week of sailing at our club. Then they kick us off the water. We are allowed to stand around and look at the water all we want. We can even bike or walk around the lake. Just can't touch it. LOL
I did procure outside storage for both the 26D's. Only 30 min away in Belmont. I can actually work on them there too.
Great deal. Now to mid May $100/ boat.

Attachments

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Not a Mac.. but sailing pictures from yesterday in Denver.

In the first picture, there is a blue bag just to the left of the mast that I keep things like gloves, rain jacket, sunscreen in.

The bag was made by Sumner and Ruth a couple years ago. It was intended for another use but it really works perfect on this boat and it is really made well. Still in perfect shape.

Sumner and Ruth, nice job on that bag..

Attachments

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I feel for you folk up there in the frozen north. We still have at least 6+ weeks of decent weather and we usually manage quite a few nice days during the winter anyway. I pull mine home 1st week of December if things go according to plan I don't want to leave it in the water and risk a frozen ballast tank.
The down side is I'm laid up with back problems and can't take my boat out.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
This solent bag hold my inner jib. I don't have to leave the cockpit to hoist my storm jib.

Jeff

image-1110527689.jpg

Now, about the 300 Opti's between me and heaven...

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Took my Mac out of the water for the winter :(