That Darned Committee Boat.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Last race of the season for our little club.
It's been a good year, nobody got hurt and everyone had fun.
The last race we had winds steady 13-15 kts with gust into the low 20 kts range.
This racer was first to cross after the first heat and he decided he wanted to hang around the start line and see what his next line was going to be for the next start.
I was looking the other way taking pictures of other racers but I heard the impact.
They were in the process of fending him off the ANCHORED committee boat when I grabbed this shot.

Not sure what happened to cause it, whether the skipper experienced a round up or tacked too soon, he was unavailable for comment or explanation after the races as he secured his boat and left the marina in record time after the races.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice shot!

What it comes to collisions, I tell crewmembers to KEEP HANDS AND FEET AWAY. Let them hit. Fiberglass can be repair in a day. Broken wrists, not so much.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Clearly it was an intentional raft-up as the sailboat had its stern fender deployed.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
apparently, that pfd on a rope is is MOB device
Actually, I thinks it's a substitute quick fender. The photo evidence indicates a fairly substantial gust coming from starboard and the upwind tack was overlooked or way too late. Look at the Bimini balloon on the Commitee boat. The main looks sufficiently slacked, but that headsail is set to ramming speed and the jib sheet is still wrapped around the starboard winch or something else. I'm blaming this one on confused winds!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
apparently, that pfd on a rope is is MOB device
Exactly... a poor-mans LifeSling? Clearly not the first time they've done that... that poor thing has spent its entire life out in the sun, based on the degree of UV fading.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Exactly... a poor-mans LifeSling? Clearly not the first time they've done that... that poor thing has spent its entire life out in the sun, based on the degree of UV fading.
That I know of that rig has been used more to toss a line to a another boat so he can be towed back to the marina than for a MOB rig. I've been on the catching/towing side of that a few times myself. :)